Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston area lakes
Every year for the past 8 years, I bring my daughter up to your beautiful state for her birthday fishing/camping trip.We have been to Anderson Ranch, CJ Strike, and the Malad area lakes.This year, I would like to try the Preston area (trying to stay close to save on gas!).Could you give me a short rundown on the lakes I could get my 13' boat on and to tent camp.She likes to fish for panfish a lot, especially perch.Thank you for any advice! We will be there early June.
[signature]
Hi and welcome to the Idaho board.

Twin Lakes-good camping but they are pay spots. Good bluegill, bass trolling stocker trout. Too many water skiers on weekend. easy launch.

Condie- Good Launch Good bluegills, perch, big bass. No trees for shade when camping.

Johnson -Good Camping with trees, small bluegill, stocker trout, small bass, unimproved launch ramp but most people can get a boat in.

There are many other lakes but those are the ones that I would suggest.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the info.I think i'll cruise on up this weekend for some lotto tickets and check out some of the lakes for the best camping.From there, we could just drive over to the other lakes in the vicinity.Looks like they are fairly close to each other.
[signature]
I hit Glendale on Saturday and it was slow fishing. We caught 4 trout and missed a bunch of others. In mid June it should be really good fishing up there for Crappie and Bluegill and Trout. It has an okay place to camp up there. If you are there on a weekend it can get pretty noisy. It is very nice place to fish if you go up in the top end. The water skiers don't seem to be as bad in the top end. Also around the 1st of June I have had a great time for some big bass on scum frogs in the shallows.

C&R
[signature]
With the exception of Treasureton, I've pull perch out of all of the little reservoirs around Preston. If your an experienced perch fishermen you shouldn't have any trouble catching at least a few perch at Condie, Johnson, Lamont, Winder, Foster or Glendale. Twin Lakes can have some good perch fishing but perch can be more difficult to find at Twin Lakes. I haven't fished those lakes enough lately to tell you which ones will be best for perch but it is only a short drive to get to another reservoir if if the fishing isn't very good where your at. Don't forget to check the regs before you go. Winder doesn't allow boats and Foster only allows the use of electric motors. Glendale and Twin Lakes tend to have the most jet skiers and water skiers. Also don't overlook the bluegill fishing, early june will be a good time to fish a worm under a bobber or cast flies or jigs to bluegills.
Twin Lakes might be the funnest place for kids to camp because there is more beach area for them to play in the water.
Good luck.
[signature]
Camp at fosters and you can go any direction 30 min and be at any of a dozen lakes. Any would be fun slow or fast fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info.We took a drive on Sun. and checked out some spots.Looks like Oneida Narrows would be the best for camping for us, but I don't know about the fishing there.But from there, we can trailer the boat to any of the other lakes that were mentioned.
[signature]
None of the local lakes have great camping- with the controversy of Twin Lakes ( pay to fish and the dam deal on the narrows) Twin will get nada from me. Actually you could put a tent trailer on Treasureton at the East end. I would think the Narrows would be the place to camp though and fan out from there.
[signature]
For fishing in the Oneida Narrows PM trout slayer or search for "Narrows" in 2007. You should find his posts informative.
[signature]
He never did PM me, oh well, I have been out of town for a few weeks (Florida) so I have not been to the Narrows for a while now. I did do some fishing in Florida and had a blast. I will be down here in Utah fishing Strawberry Res. over Memorial Day weekend and plan on fishing the Narrows again on the 9th and 10th of June!!! Will post a report for you guys. TS P.S. Here is a couple pictures from a few years back (Narrows) (horrible first photo, my brother is obviously not a good photographer standing in front of the sun, shading me, with my friend relieving himself in the background)!!! First fish is 22" Brown and FAT!!! Second is a 19" Brown down stream!!!
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=25535;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=25536;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=25537;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=25538;]

**** I edited this to reduce the size of the pictures so those with dial-up could view them. I also added the pictures "in-line" BrianID ****
[signature]
trout_slayer,

We all know those came from the Provo. Idaho doesn't have fish like that.[Wink]
[signature]
Oh yeah I forgot, what was I thinking??? I was only up in Idaho to get Lotto tickets then back down to the Provo for Browns!!![Wink] As everyone agree on "pictures dont do any fish justice"!!! Thanks BrianID for the resizing of the pictures. By the way just to give reference to the size of those "little Provo" Browns I am 6'1" 220 lbs!!!
TS
[signature]
Troutslayer,

Does your friend that is relieving himself know about that picture? LOL

Die2fly,

Welcome to the board.
[signature]
Remember Brian theres no fish in Idaho those are definatly lower Provo fish
[signature]