Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey 5/4
My brother in law got a new boat and wanted to try it out yesterday. I told him that it probably wasn't the best day to go fishing with the wind/rain/sleet/snow going on, but he insisted on going. I knew that there would be white caps everywhere so I convinced him to go to Causey because It would probaly be a little more calm. We got up there around 4:00 and the sleet was coming down hard. We waterproofed ourselves and got the boat in the water. The water was actually really calm but the sleet and the bitter cold air was just about too much to take. We trolled around in the muddy water for about an hour and called it quits. No bites at all but the boat floated and the motor started so I guess it was a successfull trip.
Spotted another dead bull elk with it's antlers sawed off (found one ealier this week in Blacksmith fork canyon). Hope it was a winter kill and not another poaching. getting kind of sick of finding these majestic animals dead with no antlers.
[signature]
how high is the water?
[signature]
I had a guy talk me into taking a 10 foot raft out on causey in march a few years back. We got up their and it wasnt to cold but it was sleeting really light. We got out in the middle of the lake and I turned around and sure enough a blizzard came down into the canyon. Waves started white caping and we could barely see the bank. We had paddles, no motor and I thought we were going to die for sure and I felt really stupid because I knew better than going out with him in that thing that early in the year. We made it to the bank where we could get out of the water and made it back to the truck to warm up. I was soaked to the bone between the whitecaps breaking over the side and paddling so fast. Part of the lake still had ice on it, just a bad idea that could have killed us. Comes to show how quick the weather can change in the mountains. I guess Im lucky for making through that one, then I made it through a tour in iraq last summer.........maybe I should go to church [Wink][angelic]
[signature]