Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
outboard trouble shoot
I took the boat out today to pineview (solo). Ramp was slow so I wasn't a pain in anybodys butt. To start with I have a 87 evinrude 40 hp with 6 gal removable fuel tank. On one side of the fuel line I have a connector that is simular to a air compressor connect. Versus a traditional two post style connect that I've seen for my whole life. The reason I mention this is because Im suspect of the different connect I have on the tank side. Do they work, leak, go bad? Anyway the motor idles fine but revs slow and at full ar even half speed gooses then slows over and over. But if I pump the hand primer the motor will hold rpm fine? Throttle response is fine so long as I kept pumping. I believe it could be a bad fuel pump. Is there a rebuild kit maybe some gaskets, diaphrams ect I can buy for this? Or am I looking at a new pump? Cost? Difficulty? Or does it sound like something else? I should also add this boat was winterized and sat out in a Morgan pasture for 6yr.
[signature]
ceedubya, I am not a mechanic but i have seen this ? posted on alot of marine outboard forums. I started reading them as i have been rebuilding a 1978 mercury 150 hp motor. It does sound like your fuel pump could use a rebuild, they do have kits available with new gaskets and diaphram. When i did mine it cost me $20 bucks and about a half hour of my time. It was really simple to do.
I would give that a try.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I'm no boat or motor machanic, but I did experience your problem with one of my outboards a while ago. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The problems sound exactly like mine, as long as I kept pumping the fuel bulb, and kept it "hard", the motor ran fine. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I replaced the fuel line, from the tank to the motor, including the connection at the end of the line. This fixed my problem. I figured that it must have been allowing air into the fuel system.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]this was the first thing that I thought that I would try, before going into any mechanical tear down (I have 10 mechanical thumbs).[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You might want to give it a try, the cost is nominal, and it may work.[/size]
[signature]
It's almost a gut cinch that you're getting air in the fuel line from someplace. Does the squeeze bulb feel soft when you first start pumping it? You can usually just kinda feel the air pumping out if it's getting air. If, on the other hand the bulb is fairly firm when squeezed it would indicate a fuel pump pooping out.

If the bulb is soft, take a look in the female end of the connection. There should be an o-ring quite a ways down inside it. If that o-ring isn't perfect it'll let air in. You could probably go to the closest NAPA store & get a replacement o-ring for mighty little cost. They aren't hard to change. Just pick the old one out, I take a fairly good sized safety pin & bend a very small 90 degree "hook" on it to fish the old ring out with. Then just push the new ring back into its groove with a small screwdriver or something like that. Be really careful not to damage it.

Good luck.
[signature]
Pump was bad. $380 to replace, the part guy says rebuild kit on these particular pumps don't work. Go figure! Its so expensive because it also pumps oil (for injection). News to me! No oil tank or line. If I just mix oil/fuel $69 gets me pumpin and runin whooohooo! I replace fuel lines, fittings and bulb just in case. Thanks for the help! Now I'm very satisfied with my purchase of this boat. Thought I might have gottin more than I bargained for. I also wanted to add. I replace every fuel line on the boat W/clear line now I can see any air or resin build in there. wasnt expensive or hard. $15 could save me alot of time and agg. Sweet huh![sly]
[signature]