Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally Nirvana
I have been trying to get the tube on water at least 3 times a week for the last couple of months. (On any water possible)

I have noticed that the bite has really picked up around here the last 2 weeks or so. A month ago I really had to work for a few here and there, lately I can barely keep the pole in the water long enough to take a sip from my iced tea before the pole starts to bend. I even had to go back to fishing a single pole at a time, because after a few doubles last week (and the line tangles that came with a couple of them) I decided to concede to my dads "you can't chew gum and walk at the same time" theory -- and just relax with one pole.

This evening was the pinnacle of my recent "hot streak" -- I hit the water at my local fishing hole at about 6:30 PM -- and before 7 PM I had hit 4 eater sized cats between 13-15 inches (I threw them back), and a couple cute little baby cats. After moving spots and swatting away a dozen or so Bluegill -- I finally ran into my first LMB of the night. He was not very big, only about 14 inches, but he put up a different kind of fight on my ultralight than did all of the cats that I have been into the last week or so....So that was a fun catch.

After playing around with a couple of more kitties and 1 more LMB -- all around 11-12 Inches...The sun had finally gone down enough for me to kick on over to my "secret" crappie hole. Within about 15 minutes I had pulled about 4 or 5 decent crappies between 10-12 inches and then 2 more respectable around 13, and the last at about 13 1/2 inches. About this time my daughter rode up on her bike and wonder what the bank tanglers were all converging around....She snapped a couple of these pictures and then went on her way.

Since the part of the lake I was on is only about 3 surface acres, I got a kick out of watching the bank tanglers try to move spots every five minutes as soon as I would vacate an area. A few of them must have thought I was using magic bait or something, because they yelling at me to ask what I was using.

The funny thing was, even though this is a live bait state, and the last few weeks I have been going through live minnows like crazy -- I had not planned on going fishing today, so I had not stopped and got any bait....The only thing I was using today was a package of stale "magic minnows" that I had purchased while I was in Utah a few months ago and a couple of tube jigs. Goes to prove that when the fish want to bite -- and you are in parts of a lake where nobody else can reach Smile that it really does not matter what bait you use.

Nice bonus trip this week -- I may try again tomorrow night.
[signature]
Nice report Dusty. Glad your putting that tube to good use. Isn't it just amasing how other fisherman willfollow ya around rather than learn the water for themselves.. I had a simalar situation on Strawberry back in the days when we had an opening and closing of fishing season. We were fishing from my boat what would be considered jigging today, only we were droping worms stright down on the fish. dwane and I were bringing ne up on every drop. All the other boats started moving in closer and closer. We overheard one guy ask his buddy "I wonder what they're using"? So I said to dwane had me some more orange peel I'm out. Next we knew they were all asking who had any oranges. It cracked us up we had a good time with that for years. And see those Ut minnows were good for something LOL.
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] We overheard one guy ask his buddy "I wonder what they're using"? So I said to dwane had me some more orange peel I'm out. Next we knew they were all asking who had any oranges. It cracked us up we had a good time with that for years. [/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font][/reply]

Good One Road! I have not had a laugh that good since me and my dad watched a couple of "out of towner" hunters sneak up on our decoys for about 10 minutes until they were within a few yards, and then they let loose with about 15 shots.....The funniest part was when my dad walked up to them and told them that "they might not be that good of eatin' "
[signature]
Wish I could have been there for that one Dusty. That would of had me rolling on the ground howling at um. That is just too funny!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you are discovering what I have been rediscovering for over 50 years. That is that fishing is not only better from a tube (or toon), but fishing from floatation craft will ultimately make you a better fisherman. When you are "up close and personal" with your fishing environment you are so much more attuned to the water conditions and the fish that you really do learn a lot more...a lot faster and better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plus, if you are a Sadist you enjoy a lot of opportunities to mess with other anglers...boaters and bankers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you are enjoying yourself and that the fishies are so willing to come out and play with you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
ooops I wasn't logged on that post was me Dusty.
[signature]
A "zonker" moment. <chuckling>
[signature]