Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Problems
I have been having some problems with my main motor. It is a 2002 Merc. 4-stroke 115HP. The motor runs great and idles great. The problem is when I shift it from being in gear to neutral, it will die. If I do this very slowly it will still run but very rough for a second or two then it will smooth out. I have have good gas in it, and i have also changed the spark plugs last winter. I have added some fuel injector cleaner also, but it still has the same problems. It always starts right up after it dies, but it didn't used too. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron
[signature]
Perhaps the idle speed is set a little too low.
[signature]
Simular to kents suggestion: Have someone shift your motor when it's not running and have your motor cover off. Watch the linkage as the motor is shifted from drive to neutral and see if the throttle has an adjustment associated with the shift linkage.

Often times linkages uses ball-joints and the motor is in all positions -- far left to far right. These linkage parts do wear and might just need a little adjustment or WD-40. Just watch it in slow motion while someone shifts it.

Best I can do with my crystal ball...
[signature]
Thanks guys. Any suggestions will help.
[signature]