Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing Trip Report Friday 6/1/07
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Two of us fished Bear Lake. Started at 7:30 and fished until 11:30. Trolled two rods each, one on a downrigger and one with a deep diver (Berkley Frenzy). Started at the big willow tree at South Eden and trolled south to the Boy Scout Camp. Picked the first cutthroat directly off South Eden, down 34' over 40' of water on a yellow tiger spoon (about the size you use for kokanee) Tried moving deeper (to 75') and shallower to (25'). Notta, didn't even see fish shallower or deeper, but were consistently marking fish at the 40' depth. Missed another cutt just north of the scout camp that simply unbuttoned close to the boat on a deep diver running about 18' down over 40' of water. Turned around and trolled north. Caught two more nice cutts, about 2 lbs each, directly off South Eden down 35' over 40' of water on blue #13 rapalas on the riggers. **note to self: stay where you originally caught fish!!!** Awesome day, absoluetly flat-calm, no wind, 70 degree air and 53 degree surface temps. A great day to be fishing Bear Lake. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thought I saw "bodine" (Jeff Michel) off the scout camp. He was trolling deeper than us, but I sure didn't see them scrambling around the boat to reel in fish. So, Jeff, how did you do today??[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report Scott, we sure haven't heard many from the big blue lake lately. Good to hear you caught a few, were there many boats out there other than you and Jeff?
[signature]
Nope wasn't me Scott. gone several times sense ice of and did real well the first few weeks. For some reason the fishing isn't as good this year in May as it has been in the past. I varified this by looking in my log books going back 6 years. The best day we had in May this year was 8 the worst 2. Seemed like after they planted the fishing went to heck. Mabey they were all full and laying on the bottom. LOL I'm heading for the gorge for the big boys on my yearly stint on the 10th thru the 15th hope we do good.

Bodine
[signature]
There were 5 boats on the east side and another 5 or so that launched at the marina and I assume fished the east side. Trolling from the marina north to Fish Haven Creek has been pretty good too. Very few powerboats. In fact we only saw one big cigarette-style boat cruise by about 10:00 and they were going at least 70mph and headed north. Sure wish I had a boat like that! Twin engines and the hammer down! I would like to take one of those on Bear Lake when the water had 4-5' waves. When I watch those off shore races with those cigarette-boats, it looks like fun (albeit a "beating") but way fun!
[signature]