Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday june 3rd
Hit the water about 6 am just north of echo bay. Anchored in about 30 feet chummed a ton, and nonstop action all day. Caught about 35 striper, 3 cats, 1 smallmoth, and 1 carp. The stripers were from 1 to 7 lbs, and up to 28 inches! Kept a couple of small stripers because i killed them trying to get the hook out. We were checked by a ranger, and was told we were the only boat checked that had fish. Great day on the water!!!

Striperhunter
[signature]
You guys ever try the "Gulp" brand minnows and shad fake fish ??
I bought some at Bass Pro Shop yesterday and they look like real fish.
Wondering if youve tried them and if so, did they work ??
I also bought the spray oil that smells like shad. I ll try anything....
Steve Weston
[signature]
those are some real nice sized fish there. excellent work
[signature]
[cool]Hey steveweston, I have had success using the Gulp! minnow grub in the 3" size and in white. I put it on a darter head jig. It is a go to bait for both largemouth bass and stripers.
[signature]
Thank you Grahamcracker, and steve I dont know about the fake shad you are talking about, but I have had good luck with sassy shad, buck tails with a 3" salted grub, and (jigging spoons in july) for stripers. As far as large mouth I have had good action with salamanders (during spawning), and motor oil colored yakamoto worms in late spring early summer, and whoalla poppers in the early mourning.
[signature]
OK, tomorrow is my day. I ve paid my dues and its Striper day for me. I m leaving my pontoon boat home and heading to a "secrete spot" that is supposed to be the place......its on the river by Topock..
Plan is: put a weight on the end of my line. Up about two feet I have a 14 inch leader with a "fake" shad...
My other rig has the basic egg slider sinker above the swivel and a 14 inch leader. New hooks on everything. I ll use anchovies on the slider and again, the rubber shad on the first pole. I ll try shad spray oil attractant. I ll say a few words to the Man and tomorrow night I ll be cooking fish tacos....
My wife is going and she has the same rigs on her poles...
I ll take my dog. I ll be curtious to people on the way. I ll give to Jerrys Kids. I ll be extra nice to the gas station attendant.

What else can I do ???[Wink]

Steve
Grandpa Steve's Stink Bait.......
At least I m selling lots of bait......
[angelic]
[signature]
Its sounds like you have all your bases covered.

GOOD LUCK & HOPE YOU CATCH A MESS OF FISH!![cool]

Stripercraze
[signature]
I'll pray for you if you think it will help.
BaySport
[signature]
[mad]
Im back...

The HELL with Jerrys kids.

If my dog comes over here, I ll kick the little F*^#%r.
The next time someone cuts in front of me on the highway, I ll flip them off with both hands.

Ever take a girl fishing ?

You do all the work.
Load the truck.
Drive.
Get out everything.
Bait the hooks.
Try to get her line unstuck from the rocks.
Rebait. Re rig.....
Get her chair from the truck.

Tomorrow I go back to work.
Maybe I ll get some rest. I ll stop by the store and buy a fish taco...

Wish I could have beer at work....

Steve..............................................
[signature]
i know what youre talkin about with the womenfolk there, always frustrating. at least when you do that for kids its exciting when they catch something...
[signature]
Hey you guys, there are woman out there that chip in, plus their husband appreciates it when they can take over just in case he has that "big" one [Wink] I'm one of them.

I could never just sit there and let him do everything, to me that is not the point of going fishing. Don't get me wrong, there are things I'm not capable of doing because of my strength or knowledge.

Just had to chime in here as I'm a "womanfolk" who loves to fish and knows how much work is involved. [sly]
Welcome aboard lake mead junkie. We are glad to have you here on the board. There is plenty of room for everyone.[cool]
[signature]
Well stated, lake mead junkie, your point is noted. I however, have the perfect wife when it comes to fishing...........she never wants to go, and she doesn't care when I go or how long I stay out! She does seem to spend more money while I'm fishing though! [Wink]
BaySport
[signature]
im not trying to hold you back or anything, must just be the girls i take out there. ill take em whenever they want to go, just sometime 30 minutes will go by and i wont have a pole in the water cus im doin this that and the other for them. but what can you do, i have guy friends that are the same way, but eventrually they will learn...
[signature]
I know what you mean... I've taken quite a few girls to Mead with me, and oddly enough, I've had more funs with girls that I was dating than actual girlfriends. You described it to a "T" when it comes to do everything for "your lady." Although it can be a pain, I do appreciate the fact that they are willing to go with me. Mead is my favorite vacation spot hands down. I used to do trips to the typical vacation spots but I just prefer Mead because frankly...I like the time to just be away from it all. No people. No traffic. No stress. No B.S. Just miles of open lake where I don't see anyone all day long, and tons of stripers to catch. Anyway, hope you have better experiences with your lady in the future.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Just out of curiosity, did you catch that carp off of a chovy? It's only happened twice on my fishing trips to Mead but I was under the impression that they were vegetarians. They like the dough bait and banana or bread but not chovies.

It's weird because on a few of my houseboat trips, we'll chum chovies, and a school of huge carp show up. I'm talking 5-10 lb carps. Since I fish at night, I freak out when I see their silhouettes under the water because initially, I think they're big stripers. Instead, they're just a school of big, nasty carps. I'll have to create a new post and see if anyone knows why carps show up when you're chumming chovies. Anyway, sounds like you had a good trip. Take care.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Interesting, the same thing has happened to me as well. My friends and I caught two turtles off of chovies. One was pretty big. Larger than a basketball in fact. I've also caught a few large and small mouth bass off of chovies. But this was just from bottom fishing. You know...cast and wait....and then you hook a large or smallmouth bass. I once caught an usual fish that looked like a cross between a smallmouth bass and a striper. It was mainly white like a striper but had the shape of a smallmouth bass. I still have no idea what it was but it did put up a good fight. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences. Glad I'm not the only one have these types of experiences.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
turtle catchin is as fun as any fish, and what a battle....

so iffen its turtles you be wantin to catch, chicken livers is the tops....
[signature]