Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone
Hello,
I took my first fishing trip to Yellowstone this weekend. We hiked into Greeb Lake, and caught some arctic grayling. If anyone else wants to try it (and i recomend that you do) they were biting pretty good on wooly buggers.
I was wondering if anybody had any recomendations of other good spots in the park.
Any info would be apreciated.
[signature]
Welcome to BigFishTackle and thanks for taking the time to register.

It sounds like you are a fellow flyfisher. I would like to welcome you to post this on the flyfishing board as well.

We have a few flyfishing members that frequent the Yellowstone area.[cool]
[signature]
My wife and i rented a row boat on Y Lake quite a few years ago and caught about 100 cutts throwing spin-a-lures. All fish were almost exactly 17 3/4" and fought like you wouldn't believe. We fished about 4 different rivers with some success. I'm sure there are many places off the beaten path you could try.
[signature]
That is what I like about the Cutts. They fight like the dickens.

Out here in Cali, we have a genetically engineered or test tube fish called Alpers. They are a cross from a Cutt and a Brown. You want to talk about a fight? These are the ones.[cool]
[signature]
Welcome to the boards . you'll have a good time here and and enjoy the company
[signature]
I've fished Grebe lake a few times. Fun lake to fish. Catching grayling on a dry fly is fun, just had to make sure I waited an extra second or two before setting the hook.[Wink]

Yellowstone Lake isn't as good as it was a few years ago. Lake trout and spawning creeks drying up due to the drought have really decreased the number of cutthroat in that lake. A few years ago I would make a trip or two there every year and camp at some of the "back country" camp sites along the shoreline. We could catch cutthroat non-stop all day. If you would like to fish Yellowstone Lake, I would recomend a fall trip when the lake trout are spawning. Park rangers are very willing to tell you exactly were and how to catch the lake trout.

There are many places in the park that offer great fishing. There are a few books written about the fishing in the park. I would recommend you read one or two of these books for ideas.

Send me a PM and I could give you a few ideas. I've backbacked my float tube and waders into a number of lakes in Yellowstone. Also don't forget about the rivers that take a hike to reach.
[signature]