Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astoria Sturgeon/Brownlee Bass
What a trip.....Great fun, we ended up with 29 Sturgeon on our boat, 6 keepers. Not bad for the first time. Boy do they put up a fight. Fished anywhere from 65 to 6 feet. Most coming from 20-24'. Big water the Columbia, launched at John Day ramp...very nice. Got kinda used to fishing tides/heavy current for the first time. Between us and the other 2 boats the total boated was around 180.

As far as Brownlee goes, we hit that on Friday on the way back after the Mem. weekend. 92 degrees! We fished about 8 hours just where the Powder river arm meets the main lake and boated 61 SM, 5 slabs and 1 cat during the night. Wish we could have caught more cats, but maybe down by Farewell would have been better for them. We stopped there and some folks were cleaning 6 really nice ones. The SM went from 1-2.5 lbs. That was a blast, just threw plastic tails tipped with a crawler, and they were hungry. We launched at Hewitt park out of Richland (nice facility, 3 ramps, showers, cleaning station, campgrounds).
Wanted to thank everybody for the tips/advice on Brownlee, looks to be quite the fishery. Hopefully we can return sometime.
Thanks again MM
[signature]
Way to go Madmax, I'm glad it all worked out with great results. Thanks for reporting back to us. I was up at Brownlee at that time and was fishing around the same area you where. We usually get off the water at around 3 pm when it's to hot. We probably passed each other at one time.
Them Strugeon are great aren't they, I grew up on the Columbia River around Kalama, and thats all I fished for during my teenage years.
[signature]
I believe if i lived around the Columbia, that is what i would be after. Good eating too.! There was alot of boats all up and down that river the whole way there. Must be a ton of them in there. I would have liked to fish SM around Mcnary, but just didn't have the time. Maybe next year can make the trip again, Next time well fish Farewell bend for cats. I know a little more about it now. Are all those floating boat houses private?? They looked like it but was wondering if any were for the public. Looked like a good place to tie up for night and fish for Crappie. Thanks
MM
[signature]
Not sure about the floating shacks, if there private I've always been curious what the process was to put one out there. I wouldn't mind having one.
[signature]
Nice job dude. What does a Million year old fish taste like?? I never kept a Sturgeon. I was always taught to throw them back so that they could live another Million years.[cool]
[signature]
They taste great, and I hope the fish are still around in a million years, because I doubt nothing else will be, except BFT of course.[cool]
[signature]
Had my first taste this weekend...yummy. Wished I lived closer to those bad boys. Alot like halibut, good firm white meat!
MM
[signature]