Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elevation and 2 strokes
Everytime i go to lfish lake or some high elevation lake my engine struggles when i full throttle it and has no power .I run it for a while then it all of a sudden gets to full power.Has anyone experienced this with their 2 stroke boat engine?
[signature]
[black][size 3]I suspect that a boat motor is like a car motor. For higher elevations, you probably need the carburetor adjusted or re-jetted.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I know that my own boat runs like crazy at Powell, faster speed, more responsive.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I would think that one of the local boat shops could provide you with information on tweeking the carburetor for higher elevations.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm no machanic, so this is just my guess.[/size]
[signature]
Mine is the same as Sabers it will run 7 mph faster on willard then it will on Bear lake or the Gorge??? M.H.
[signature]
Almost all gas engines want a little leaner fuel mixture at high altitudes. I used to have an old 50's vintage Johnson 5 hp. that I had to lean out quite a bit to get it to run decent at Fish Lake. Another thing I learned about running an outboard at Fish Lake is that you need to run the next step hotter plug, especially if you are trolling. Dunno about the newer outboards but the old ones don't have a thermostat & that cold water at Fish Lake wouldn't let the engine run warm enough to keep from fouling the plugs.
[signature]
This might not be any help because it isnt a 2 stroke [blush]but i just bought a boat and took it to utah lake and it ran fine then i took it to deer creek and it bogged down when i full throtled it so i took it to my neighbors dads shop and the adjusted the carb and we took it out again and it ran perfect so maybey its just an adjustment
[signature]
If it's a mercury, you might want to ask Lees Marine in Hyrum if the jets are OK for this elevation......If not they could order jets for you that might make it run better at high speed.
[signature]
Sounds like your over propped. In high altitude use of a prop with a little less dig.. Saves from frustation
[signature]
how do you figure out how hot the plug is you have now?
[signature]
Best way I know is to get the number & make off one of the plugs and check it out at the local auto parts store. They can tell you the heat range. You could probably Google it & find out too.
[signature]