Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tooning at Mantua
The great maiden voyage of my new pontoon was made tonight at Mantua. Things were a little shacky trying to get everything organized. I have never even been on a toon let alone fished from one until tonight. All I can say is 'COOL'.

The lake was still really busy when we arrived there must have been 15-20 rigs in the parking with boat trailers and 50-75 people on the beach. But the important things is that we must have looked like we knew what we were doing because when we unloaded our boats we had everybody and their brother asking questions.

On the water about 6:30pm and started to throw a few plastics we no luck. Then switched to a small jig with a painted face tipped with a worm and immediatley began to slay the bluegill and pearch. Nothing of any size so I swithed to a white rooster tail spinner and the bass loved it. Caught 6 within the last 30 min of light before we headed in. The biggest went 14" and put up a great fight on the ultralight.

The other great thing that happens is my fishing buddy had never ever hooked a bass in his life. So we got him on a few and he loved it.

I can tell you I am hooked on the toon and can't wait to hit the water again Monday.
[signature]
Great report!! Glad to hear you had luck with your toons. Is the moss realy bad yet? (its always mossy) for me its a tough place to fish because of all the stinking moss. I have tried top water baits with not a whole lot luck.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, good to hear you "survived" your first outing on the new ride. It only gets better from here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like a great first trip out.
[signature]
Scrodycat,

Yeah the moss is pretty thick! When I have my jonboat on the lake I have learned to stay towards the middle were the moss is not so bad and then head in were I want to fish.

We were picking 'lanes' in the moss where we could drag the spinners through without much interference. I also was making a very quick start to the retrieve by having the bail already cocked and reeling before the spinner hit the water. This kept it above the moss in most cases.

Whit
[signature]
Good to hear it went well for you on your first ride in your new toon. I have an eight foot toon and I'll tell you what it has opened up my opportunities to get into some good fishing. I have a small trolling motor on mine as well and I really like it. This year has been my best year for smallie, largie, and muskie fishing at pineview. I am planning on going to jordanelle next week end so we'll see where that goes. Sounds like alot of people are doing well up at the nelle. Anyway, cheers and good fishing!
[signature]