Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
largemouth bluegill?
i caught a bluegill today it had skin resembling a bluegill but a little green, and it had a large mouth like a bass? its possible for bass and bluegill to crossbreed? and if it is, whats the proper name for them, me and my friend just call them bluemouth bass
[signature]
99.9% sure is a rock bass, they look like a short stocky bass with bluegill characteristics. By the way they dont have much meat on them but they make for excellent table fare. Beat crappie in my book.
[signature]
Sound like what we call "warmouth perch". I have never eaten one due to small size but they sure put up a good fight for their size. Here an offical description:

The warmouth closely resembles a bass or a bream. It has a stout, deep body similar to that of a bluegill or redear sunfish, yet has a large bass-like mouth. The red eye and large mouth are the first conspicuous field marks of mature warmouth. They vary from brassy to dark-olive green and often have a purple tint overall. Broad, irregular dark bars give it a mottled appearance. The soft-rayed portions of the dorsal and anal fins are marked with rows of dark spots. Three or four conspicuous dark stripes radiate back from the eye across to the cheek and gill cover.
[signature]
[center][url "http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/images/inland_species/warmouth.gif"][Image: mwarmouth.gif][/url][/center][center][url "http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/war/"]Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)[/url][/center]
[signature]
the answer to your question is yes, they can cross breed.

if the above pic is not what you caught and it is all green with just a couple strips on the cheek you prabably did catch a bluemouthbass...LOL its as good a name as any other.....[Wink]

the proper name isnt given because they fail to reporduce after crossbreeding. much like the tiger musky they are poorly adapted for sustaining their special breed. and since they are mostly stunted there is no demand for them so they end up being pond misbreeds.

this cross breeding usualy comes from canals where water temps are disturbed by drainage released by ajecent housing. water temps change causing the fish to breed at times they are normaly not ready to reproduce....
[signature]
I think daves right, warmouth bass or perch depending on what part of the country your from. I actually have a pet warmouth in my aquarium. I think its alot cooler than an oscar[cool]
[signature]
I just caught a warmouth fishing for shellcracker and put him in my aquarium. He's fitting right in so far [Wink]
[signature]
That's the craziest thing I ever heard! In all my 40+ years fishing all over this country, I've never seen or heard of a "bluemouth bass"! I suppose anything is possible though, especially these days!

-Billy Gull
"Time spent [url "http://www.unitedmarine.net/"]boating[/url] is NOT deducted from one's lifespan."
[signature]
now there is a blue gill species that is so blue that it is almost purple. some times they grow long and not tall like other gills. thier mouths are larger than other gills and can take on a number 4 hook with ease.

they are of the larger verieties of blue gill and you fish for them in about 20 feet of water.

the bluegill bass cross I caught was green with a large mouth, the question may be who layed the eggs and who sprayed the eggs as to how the cross comes out.[crazy]
[signature]
Hey anglers, did your bluegill look like this? If yes, then I will tell you what species it is, they are pretty common up here in MN...

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=27713;]
[signature]
No takers?[crazy]
[signature]
A friend of mine catches those all the time in a small lake here in MO. We thought they were a cross breed between a largemouth and a bluegill.
[signature]
its funny, here in mich where I target gills, we see them with larger mouths and some with smaller mouths. I mean all in the same species of gills. it would seem in my lake all the gill species share the same inconcistancies in mouth size.

some of them I can almost reach in to pull out a hook and others I can bearly get a micro plyer in to retreive my hook.

I have never given it much thought as to why this is.
If the fish had orange pearlescent fringes on tail and fins and turquoise green spots, it was a green sunfish.
Did it look like any of these?:

[Image: grren-sunfish.jpg]

[Image: grren-sunfish1.jpg]

[Image: green-sunfish3.jpg]

upload images
(05-28-2022, 09:30 AM)Oleg1706 Wrote: Hey. hahaha, I saw your topic and it was some interesting for me. Before I have never seen something like this fish. Maybe it is because I have not enough experience for it, of course. But I think it is some fun and interesting. But It was really interesting to know this. Now I am looking for new hobby and I choose the fishing. Which variant would you recommend for starting? May be I can find new people here, for goinng to camping together?? Who knows..)

I've posted extensively on this and other forums. Read those posts and apply the information on waters you fish. Experience is everything; jawboning about fishing pretty much useless.