Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FC4 or Togiak owners? Please advise.
Hello there... apparently, like many new members in the past, I am trying to make a decision on which tube to purchase. I already have a tube, a "White River Fly Shop, Lost Lake - Open Front", shown below. I've been happy with this tube... but I'm looking to upgrade to something that will seat me a little higher out of the water, be easier to control in wind and wave, and that I will be able to propel faster.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10301;]

The choices available to me appear to be the Outcast FishCat 4 and the Trout Unlimited Togiak. I'm not including the Creek Company ODC 420 at this time because I haven't been able to find a supplier here in Toronto... that's important because if I have to order from the US, the import duties plus shipping would likely double the cost. Otherwise, the ODC 420 would probably be an automatic purchase based on the reviews I've seen here.

So, the FC4 or the Togiak... I've got some thoughts on which might be better for me, but I'm hoping some current or former owners will be able to help me make an informed decision. Here's some info that might help make the determination:
[ul] [li]My weight is around 265 pounds, height 5' 10".[/li] [li]I use spinning gear exclusively, only because I don't know anything else.[/li] [li]Most of my fishing to date has been for largemouth and smallmouth bass. I am also starting to target Northern Pike, and am interested in a number of other species common to Ontario.[/li] [li]I don't carry a huge amount of tackle currently, but I do like to have a wide variety of stuff on hand.[/li] [li]I don't see myself making very many customizations, although I suppose it's possible I might try some simpler PVC projects in the future.[/li] [li]One thing about my current tube that I would not want to give up is the comfort level... I love that "loungechair" feeling.[/li] [li]I will have to deflate and re-inflate, almost every time.[/li] [li]Most likely I won't ever be back-packing the gear very far.[/li][/ul]
I hope that's everything important. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

toober
[signature]
I have an FC4 and love it. It moved out of a Caddis Uboat to the FC4.

It got my attention more when you mentioned the lounge chair feeling from a tube.

The Water Skeeter Pontube has that exact feeling. It actuall has a higher weight rating than the FC4 and only weighs 17 pounds. It is rated for 300lbs which may be more to your liking.

You may also want to look further into the Outcast brand of products. They also make a Fat Cat, Fat Cat Deluxe, and the Super Fat Cat. All at higher weight ratings too.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My personal recommendation is to immediately scratch the Togiak from your list. They have really gone downhill in quality of construction. Almost every one sold goes back due to seam failures or other problems.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am also going to disagree with TN2 and suggest that you NOT consider the Water Skeeter. They may offer an "armchair" ride, but they are terrible in any kind of wind, and they are topheavy. I do not know of any serious tuber who has used and enjoyed them for more than a few trips...especially if they have had something better to sompare them to.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The FC4 will float your frame, but it will be small. You will not like it as much as you would the ODC 420. I would suggest you look for a good buy on an Outcast Fat Cat. You can find deals at around $200 online, and maybe even something close to that in Ontario.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Buying a tube is a long term investment. It is better to spend a little more than you wanted than not quite enough.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Wood River craft were good ones. Too bad we can't buy them any more. Time marches on. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm going to go ahead and recommend the Fish Cat 4 over the Togiak. I have the Trout Unlimited Gunnison tube and love it except for when the stiching blew out. No problem it was still under warranty. Little did I know the warranty was pretty much worthless. Trout Unlimited would not honor the warranty but lucky for me a salesman from the store finally said he could get them to honor it and gave me a new one. If not for him I would just have been out of luck. My stiching problem I have learned over the past couple of years was not a uncommon problem for the company.

Too bad you can't get the ODC 420 as I picked one up this spring and love it.
[signature]
If those are your choices I also say the FC4.
[signature]
FC4 ALL THE WAY. I PERSONALLY OWNED THE TOGIAK AND WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE QUALITY (RIPPED AFTER 3 OR 4 OUTTINGS) AND THE RIDE. I SAT ALOT LOWER IN THE WATER THAN I WAS EXPECTING AND THE SEAT WAS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I NOW OWN A ODC AND FOR ME IT WAS LIKE GOING FROM A FORD PINTO TO A BMW........IF YOU CAN'T GET THE ODC THEN GET THE FC4.

AT
[signature]
I picked up my ODC at Cabelas's, also there was one online at http://www.troutfitter.com/browseproduct...Craft.html

After the shipping it came to the same price as the one at Cabela's is that is not in your area. I am 260lbs and when I am in my tube the only part of me that gets wet is my knee and below, could not be happier with the ODC 420.

Bean
[signature]
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I will redouble my efforts to find the ODC 420 in Canada, or at least figure out if I'm willing to live with the added shipping/customs fees to order one from the US. [mad]

If that doesn't work, I'll take a harder look at the Outcast products that I can find locally. The Togiak is now off my list, unless I happen to find one at an absurdly low price.

Regards,
toober
[signature]
Not yet! I'm still looking. I've called quite a few places around Toronto, but no dice. I've emailed the Creek Company to try and get a list of vendors in Ontario, but no response yet.

I'm not in a huge rush to buy, so I'll keep trying to find a supplier here. If I do find one, I'll be sure to post info here.

If *you* happen to find a supplier, please let me know!

Regards,
toober