Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 6-30
Went up for a family reunion at Bear Lake Saturday. Took the boat up to fish (the family thought it was to play). Only fished for an hour and a half Sat morning. I struggled to rouse my 7 year old son gently shaking him in his sleeping bag 3 times, he would not even stir. Then I said the magic words, "do you want to go fishing?" Like a shot he was out of his bag and dressed, talking about fishing, reminding me of his new pole making sure we had his tackle box.

We hit the water about 6:00. I have never fished bear Lake and it took a little time to locate the fish. We graphed most fish at either 20, 40 or 60 feet.

Rigged up with RMT Pink fire and ice dodger and a UV double glow pink squid, 12" (I know too long) behind the dodger. It was the first time I have fished with a dodger.

We fished at 35-40' with downriggers. After spending an hour to get set up with new rigs and such we spent the next half hour catching fish before we had to head back with the family. My 7 year old son Caught three Cuts we had a fantastic time (just wish we had a little more of it)

We fished the south side of the lake off sweetwater in 100 - 80 feet of water, water temps were 67.

There is nothing like fishing with my boys!
[signature]
[reply]

We fished at 35-40' with downriggers. After spending an hour to get set up with new rigs and such we spent the next half hour catching fish before we had to head back with the family. My 7 year old son Caught three kokes we had a fantastic time (just wish we had a little more of it)

[/reply]

Great report. when did they put kokes in bear lake?
[signature]
Although they are nice and silvery like kokes, there are no kokanee in Bear Lake. Only cutthroat trout, lake trout and the occasional rainbow. I looked at your pics and those are cutthroat. The middle pic almost looks like it could be a rainbow. Glad you had good luck. Did you catch them all on the dodger/squid combo? Not many anglers use that up here, but I know they work well. Congrats.
[signature]
P4L and BLFG thanks for the info on the cuts, I edited the post. I was suprised how silver these cuts were, very little spotting and a green back and head.

The two larger fish were caught on the dodger squid combo, the smaller fish on a small spoon my son was 'playing' with.
[signature]