Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua ..
Well Luke72 and I decided to head to Mantua last night after work. We arrived and were on the water by 7pm. We rushed out just past the bouy line and started fishing. Right off the bat Luke72 hoked up with a real nice basket-able perch. In fact in the first 30 minutes I think he had hooked into 6-7 perch. I was changing my presentation when I hooked my first perch. I think I have a Rapala bigger than this guy. I mean I was using mu UL set up with 4lb test and I hardly new he was there. I started to kick a little more to the North when WHAMEY goes the rod and it is a nice little 10 ish inch Largie. Well needles to say in the next hours going form 7-9 I caught 8 Bass with (10" being the largest and one about 5" being the smallest, sorry to say none bigenough to bring home for the table [Tongue]) And I am guessing about 25 Bluegill. The Gills seam to get real active between 8-9. I caught a couple that were bigger than my hand. I ended keeping 4 gills for the table. Luke on the other had had the hot stick. I think he brought home several good sized perch and probably 10 gills and tossed back at least 30 gills. I will post up a couple of pics when I get home tonight, but they will only be of what was kept as I forgot and left the camera in the truck. All I can say is that it was a most excelent evening. The hot ticket seamed to be White or glow. All fish were caught on either a 1/32 or 1/16 glow jig with orange eye and either a white grub/Ice Cuter. We sweetened the offer with a little shrimp to keep the action fast and furious but did not need it.

I did learn one valuable lesson up there last night. And that is to deploy the fish basket before you have a fish you want to put in it. I hooked a 12" perch and did not have my basket deployed. As I was reaching behind me to get it Mr. Perch wiggled just right shot out of the top of my had gave me the fin and swam away.

Majja
[signature]
Nice report Matt. Congrats on the willing fish. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks Tyler, I really like that lake for some reason. I can catch gills all day long on my ultra light and am giggling like a school girl the entire time.
[signature]
lol[Smile]
[signature]
[cool]That sure is a fun little lake, and I plan on assulting it about 2-3 more times this year on the softwater... Congrats on a fun evening up there...
[signature]
Ditto, Geoffrey. Let me know when you're up here in my neck of the woods again buddy.

We'll use Ultra Lights and have a blast.
[signature]
Thanks for suggesting that trip last night Matt, I had a blast. Final count was 20 bluegill and 4 perch filleted last night. I think I threw back about 10 gills and 8 perch. And of course the escape artist bass that jumped past my hand out of my basket and back into the lake [Tongue]. I really like the calmness at that lake, not too many powercraft, quiet mountain setting. I can't wait to get back up there.
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a plan, Derek. I'll be taking my two kids up there probably next Saturday night (not this Sat.) to fish it from shore at about like 5:30 or so til about 8:30 depending on how my 14 month old does. Your welcome to come join us with your fam if you want to. We'll probably be fishing off the rocks just North of the boat ramp some...
[signature]
Geoff that's the one night I won't be able to make it. I'll be in Wyoming doing some major camping/fishing for about 3 days- up near Big Piney.

You'll come up to Mantua again this summer, right? For some tubin and toonin'?
[signature]