Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon/Utility Boat Owners - MUST READ
Hey guys, just thought I'd share something I posted up on the DWR forums as well. Was looking up boat reg info for a guy today and came across some "inconsistencies" so I dug deeper and got some clarifications regarding your boats... here I figure it will affect mostly guys with little aluminum fishing boats... anyway, here it is:

Hey guys, just wanted to let all of you know that are driving around jon boats, aluminum duck boats, aluminum fishing boats etc this year.... there has been a clarification in what you pay for fees. I just talked to our system administrators about the class codes for boats because I was Confused about what constituted a small watercraft. Because of the chart I was given earlier this year, I was under the impression that motor size on your boats had something to do with what class your boat fell into. THAT DOES NOT MATTER!! If you are using a jon/utility (read this as duck boats, aluminum fishing boats, rowboats) boat regardless of age or length of the boat, you are in a class that only gets charged TEN DOLLARS for your property tax. Your total renewal should only be like 21 dollars. I was digging on some info for Longgun and kinda started questioning the answers I was given so I went to the gal that created the new charts. Just thought you should all know, since I was unsure of the classification and decided to dig a little deeper into the codes. I'm sorry if I've mislead anyone in the past little while on fees, but apparently this is a very recent restructuring of what qualifies for the ten dollar only boat group. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM and I can get more specific or send you a copy of our vessel assessment fees chart.
[signature]
My new renewal just came and it was $21 and some change. Just thought I'd let you all know.
[signature]
Not only is it cheaper to register these boats this year, but you can get a refund if they overcharged you last year. It took a few phone calls to the assessor, but I eventually got my refund and it was a big one.
[signature]
RiverRat, I hope you can help me with a couple questions:

Would my kayak qualify for the small watercraft fee? It is 14'6" long, plastic, (will be)powered by 2hp, worth about $1200 (just the hull).

I have a sail rig for it, so I understand that alone requires I register it in Utah, so between that and the motor, I gotta do it.

Here's the other big question: I don't have a receipt for the boat. I can come up with a copy of a credit card bill, but if I got a receipt, I lost it. How big of a problem will this be?

Do I need to try and get some documentation from the builder?

Other info: There is a vin number in the hull to work with, I bought it over a year ago, online, it shipped from out of state, new, and I paid no taxes.

Any help with this would be great, thank you.
[signature]
Take a couple pictures of it, and then head on down to the DMV. They'll have you do an insufficient evidence of ownership packet on it and probably use the VIN you already have on the kayak. You should definitely qualify for the small watercraft class. You won't qualify for the canoe, jon, utility where its only ten bucks but it shouldn't be very expensive at all because its so little. Actually, if I were you, I'd try to get them to put it in the canoe, jon or utility class just because of how small it is... they just might do that for you. They'll have you fill out some "I swear" statement forms and then register it for you and you should be good to go.
[signature]
I just registered my 14 foot aluminum semi V it was 24 to get er done. i had not registered it since it expired in 05. so I am good to June of 08. I did it at the same time as my 91 jeep my total bill for both was 76 bucks.
[signature]