Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new boat
Well, here she is. I built her out of plywood, a little fiberglass and lots of epoxy. Built her from plans out of a book by Jim Michalik, he builds all kinds of boats. I have taken her out on UL twice now, just with oars - haven't got her licensed yet. She handles extremely well, I can row her faster and more accurately than my TU colorado pontoon using the same oars. My little girl loves it, couldn't keep her out of it while it was in the garage being built.
She's 15 feet 6 inches long, 54 " beam, 17 inch sides. Drafts about 6 inches with over 500 pounds loaded up (Me, Majja, My little girl and all our gear). Can't wait to get her licensed and try out the little motor I got.
[signature]
She is a great boat. No leaks I know I have been in her.
[signature]
Awesome! Great looking boat.[Smile]
[signature]
That's awesome! [cool]
[signature]
Thanks guys, I have taken her out three times now. Every time I am happier and more impressed with how well she floats and handles. I took her to UL it was windy and choppy but it handled well with very little rocking, I still didn't stay out long because I had my little girl with me and wasn't going to take any stupid chances.
Last week I took it to Grantsville res. With me, my older brother, my little girl and his oldest girl, I'd estimate close to 800 pounds. Still rowed pretty easily, responded well, and only drafted about 7 inches at most. I love it love it love it.
in the pic it looks like I was rowing hard, but thats because I was moving at trolling speed while my brother fished off the back [cool]
[signature]
Right on man, that's pretty sweet that you can build a boat and actually use it. A Minnkota on the back would beat oars if you ask me.
[signature]
I have a small Min Kota for it as well as a 3 HP gas motor, just waiting until I am mentally ready to deal with the people at the DMV [pirate]
[signature]
A little off topic, but I was wondering how you did at Grantsville? I would like to try and tackle some of the monster browns there someday, but haven't seen a report from there in forever. [cool]
[signature]
I was so busy giving everyone "rides" in the new boat i didnt really get to fish hardly at all. My brother caught 3 or 4 smallies and one rainbow. I saw some guys that were trolling the east side of the res and they had a stringerfull o fish when they pulled thier boat out.
[signature]
how much did it cost you when you were all through???? just curios.
[signature]
After all my supplies (wood, stainless screws, adhesive, resin, fiberglass, primer, paint, sandpaper) I was just barely over $300. Still working on getting a proper trailer for it, but sounds like i'll get one from one eyed jack at a good price this week. I bought a cover for it that doubles for a duck blind, that was $79. I also bought a used motor for $200.
So the boat itself was $300, which is what i told my wife it would cost[Wink]. She wasn't too happy when she realized there was trailer, motor, and registration costs to pay also, but she's getting over it.
[signature]
Wow! What a great deal anyway!

I am not crafty enough to do anything like that! [pirate]
[signature]
It is a great boat. I look forward to going put with Luke with the motor. Not to mention for a little duck action this fall.
[signature]