Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua for G-pa's b-day 7-07-07
There is nothing like spending time on the water with Grandpa. So for my fathers birthday I took him and my kids to Mantua, where we would almost be assured of some good fishing. Dad slept over and we rousted everyone out of bed just after 5:30 am, we left the children in their jammies hoping they would sleep on the way to the lake. We stopped at WallyWorld for some worms and were off.

Got on the water just after 7:30 and headed out to the east side of the lake. We fished with ultra light tackle and small 1/32 ounce jigs color did not seem to matter, adding a little flavor ie worm or perch meat definitely helped. First cast yeilded a small bluegill.

After rigging up all the children they started catching perch and bass. The fishing was pretty cosistent tipping the jigs with worms, that is until the worms went in the drink on accident. Then it slowed down some until we started to tip the jigs with some perch meat cut into small strips, this worked almost as well as the worms.

The water was clear and we saw fish all over. The children really enjoyed "sight fishing" for the schools of perch and bluegill and were really excited when they hooked into the occasional bass.

We did not seem to catch as many bluegill as we have in the past. The perch were everywhere, everything we caught seemed smaller than in the past. It appears that the lake is over populated with stunted fish.

It was difficult to try to teach the children to keep some fish when they though it appropriate to catch and release. My oldest boy understood the importance of harvesting to help keep the fishery more balanced. He kept almost everything excepting, all bass, which were released to prey on the small perch and bluegill.

We filleted all fish (even the bite sized ones) to make a tasty Ceviche!

We found the fishing to be best 200 yards west of the point on the east side of the lake were depths were from 15-19 feet. The larger perch, and bass were definitely there and the fishing seemed more consistent.

We fished until 10:30 or so until it started to get too hot, then headed for home. Everyone caught upwards of 10-15 fish each, I spent my time taking pictures, baiting hooks and taking fish off my little girls hook!

There is Nothing like fishing with the family!
[signature]
Great report and pics!!! [cool]
[signature]
Nice report. Sounds like a great time with the kids. Good way to spend a b-day!

I love how clear the water is and the vegetation there. Great for sight fishing and structure/weed fishing.
[signature]
Great report and pics. Those look like some real happy kids.
[signature]