Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 7-21-07 ... Good
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]I really didn’t expect to catch anything because the night before, out with FisnNCoach, was so unproductive. But since I had promised a couple of guys (Andy and big John), we went out to Willard anyway.

When we arrived there at about 7:00 PM, there was only one other trailer at the marina. But when we came back in at 9:30, there were about 10.

As has been stated in previous posts, the water level is definitely starting to get thin. Launching at the ramp is into only about 2-3 feet. The island is about a foot above water level now. And I think the deepest water we fished all night was about 9 feet. However, we never made it out to the deep light pole area.

As soon as we dropped our lines in the water north east of the island, we immediately hooked into our first wiper of the night. Andy had heard much todo about wipers but this was the first he had ever caught. He loved finding out just how hard they fight.

[inline "Andy's-1st-wiper-400.jpg"]

After landing the first one, we dropped lines again and Big John had his first of the day.

[inline John-w-wiper-400.jpg]

Then, we caught a catfish and put him back. The cat came in on a white curly tail.

Just like the night before out on Willard, one of my lines got tangled around the propeller. There goes another $15 spool just like the night before. Ya think I’d learn. That spool was the brand new spool that I had just re-spooled from the night before!

By the end of the night, we had four filleted for the fry pan and lost about four other hits that we missed. We actually had doubles on twice but both times, one came unbuttoned.

[inline To-be-fileted-400.jpg]

No boils again tonight ... it’s that “lul” time of the year for boils right now. But, it’s this time of year that the old reliable lipless Producer Prism Shad crank sure gets their attention!

[inline Stringer-of-4-400.jpg]

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I ran accross SpiderWelder and his gang out there as well as IGOTABITE too. How did you guys do?[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
[Wink]Way to hook em up there, much better than our night o-well, time fishing is still better than working even if the fish-n-sucks and the water level takes off a prop. [laugh]Im glad for ya how ever having a new set of folks on your boat. I understand, they my not so forgiving being the first time and all. And whats up with this prop-line thing, (want your line back, all 6-7 feet of it) no damage to the trolling moter, well perhaps the wyper are moving in towards the shore never can tell with those dudes, Did you try the top water walking the dog thing, (No boils-NOT) well uncle see you around the fishing hole. Toot-a-loo, two weeks off july 25-Aug8, any one up for some fishing drop me a P.M.
[signature]
Nice job.
[signature]
Nice wipers, great pics!
[signature]
Not a bad group of fish Ralph. Glad you could get some newbies into some wipers.
[signature]
Nice post and pics! I feel the excitement! Got to get back out to that lake this summer!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Old Coot: Your Killing me !!!!! Way to Get-R-Dunn. [Smile][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] Oh to have a boat: [shocked] [Tongue][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Nice job coot! I wish the water would clear up so the boils would start. [Sad]
[signature]
Way to go Ralph, another good evening at the bay, at least for this time of the year. If the water level drops another foot, it sounds like the South marina will be out of bounds for the rest of this year.
[signature]
[#0000ff]What is a white curly tail?[/#0000ff][shocked][unsure][crazy]
[signature]
It is a jig. or curly tail grub to be exact. A lot of different brands out there, Mr Twister is one.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]As Wiperhunter2 said, Mr. Twister makes them as do many other brands. Here are a few from the Maniac Web site:

[Image: 036.jpg]

[Image: 047.jpg]

[Image: 052.jpg]

[Image: 040.jpg]

[url "http://www.maniaccustomlures.com/webpages/colorsGrubsNew.html"]Click here to see more ...[/url][/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
I should have known that Maniac would have them also, I've used just about all their other plastics but not their twister tails, I guess I had better get some of those next.
[signature]
How would you rig 'em? With what kind of hooks? Sorry for all the questions never really fished with one before[unsure][crazy]
[signature]