Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Friday 7/27 report w/pic
Fished Mantua this morning with my dad who is out here visiting from Michigan. We used to fish some bass tournaments when I lived back there and we had a hankering for some good 'ol bass fishing. Its been years since I've actually targeted bass. Anyway we arrived at 6:20am and headed across the lake to fish the morning for bass. Threw spinner baits, buzz baits (in the shallows), and floating rapalas from the point to the east for about 1/2 mile or so. Anyway we caught about a dozen bass and one really nice one which weighed in at about 5lb 8oz. (see pic). [inline DSCF1685.JPG]

We fished until about 9:30 am for bass. The water was calm and there was no water ski/jet ski armada on the lake, only other fishermen. We then went out to about right smack in the middle where the weeds give way to deep holes. We put on 1/16 oz. jigs tipped with worms and had a field-day on the nice bluegills and a couple of nice perch. Kept 40 gills 8" and larger. Great eating and great day on the water.
[signature]
wow thats a nice fish great report
[signature]
Well done Scott!
[signature]
Nice:report, WOW nice fish and Nice guy putting it back?
Thanks for sharing congrads!!![cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That sure is a funny lookin' cutt you're holding. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When do I have to put in my reservations for some largemouth perch and some smallmouth whitefish? Still gotta drag my tube over the mountain and plunk it on the blue pond.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS...got some killer new jigs and new colors to trade for guide service.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice bass, what are the ramp conditions like?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here's a pic taken looking west to the ramp, from out in the water a few yards. It is a narrow but very serviceable concrete ramp, with hard packed sand on either side. There is a fairly good "drop" so you don't have to back too far into the water. They launch some good sized (too big) boats there without any difficulty. Not a long ramp either.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very nice largemouth Scott, I bet you have caught many that large if you have fished tournaments but that could be a once in a lifetime fish for a lot of Utah fishermen. I would have had a tough time turning it loose, I think it would have been going on the wall[cool].
[signature]
There are bigger fish than that in Utah (not to take away his glory, it is a nice one) but not worth taking it out of Mantua. That's a good breeder right there.
[signature]
I sure can't argue your point there, I was saying, for most Utah fishermen they would never catch a bass that big. Mainly do to the fact that they(including myself) don't target bass very often. For you and other bass fishermen I'm sure there are bigger to be caught but I'd consider myself very lucky to ever catch a bass that large[unsure]. WH2
[signature]
Well then, what are you doing tomorrow?
[signature]
Great report and nice bucket mouth! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
I think that was you and your Dad getting your boat ready when I went by you.I was in the red Tundra.I fished out in the middle for lots of really nice bluegill and quite a few small bass.
[signature]
I wish I could have joined you, Sunday morning is church time for me but the afternoon would have been OK. I would like to get out there sometime and learn some more about bass fishing, maybe we can plan a trip sometime. WH2
[signature]
Beautiful LMB! Thanks for letting her go. We need all the big fish we can in that little lake. There are so many small perch and blue gill! I have heard rumor of LMB pushing 8 + pounds in Mantua, I have fished it 4 times this summer, catching lots of panfish and a few mid sized bass but nothing too big.

I am taking a bunch of kids (nephews) out with my boys this weekend. It would sure be fun to tie into a 5 lber.

Great report thanks
[signature]
Very nice fish Scott. Glad to hear that you and dad could enjoy a day together.
[signature]