Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine Carpet
I am recarpeting my boat, does anyone know of a good place for Marine carpet and vinyl? Plus I am going to try and screw snaps in to the floor of my boatc, and sew snaps into the carpet, to make a removeable carpet for cleaning. Is this possible and is it a good idea???
[signature]
Dude, this is your prime opportunity to get rid of the carpet and put in some high quality flooring. Carpet is not meant to be in a fishing boat. It stains, hooks get stuck in it, it gets mildew when wet, collects and holds dirt. I dont know who came up with the idea to put carpet in a boat, but WH2 and Kent of nsl just re did thier floors and had high quality vinyl put in. Water proof, rot proof, strong, and made to fish my friend. You may want to think about that rather than carpet. Just my opinion though. I thought I might toss out an option since you are doing the work anyways.
[signature]
Predator is right, get rid of the carpet. Danzilla did the floor in my boat, you could PM him or maybe he will answer this post. I'm sure he could answer your questions about a new floor
or help you put one in. WH2
[signature]
I know this goes aginst everything I believe in but I'm tearing the floor out of my boat as well and replacing it with carpet. I just priced some at lowes at .55 cents per sq foot. or linear foot is 6' at $3.22 and $12. for a gallon of adhesive. My wife thinks that carpet would be easier on per precious feet.

I know I shouldn't allow her in my boat (unless shes sedated) but I'm stuck with it.

Let me know polo and we'll have a carpeting party or I'll show you some pics of the floor in WH's boat and see what you'd like to do. D
[signature]
I'm needing to put new flooring in my boat too. Vinyl sounds like a good idea for cleanability but isn't vinyl slippery when wet and how does it do in the sun/weather?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I like carpet and lots of it. The thicker the better. I love seating there running my toes through it while I'm fishing. Its so soft and comfy! Also if you spill your coffee no problem! You don't need to wipe it up. Another great advantage is doesn't let rain or waves into the bottom of your boat! It just sops it up. Heck, If your hands are a little fishy, no problem, you don't need a rag, just wipe it on the carpet. I piticularly like the way it changes color in the sun after a few years, you never get tired of the color because it always getting lighter and when you're finally ready to clean it its so easy! It only takes a day of scrubbing and two days of drying. Ya, go with carpet, it's good stuff![/size][/font]
[signature]
Dude I agree with you I wanted to get some rhino lining and spray in my boat. My wife is really working it to get this boat the way SHE wants it!!!

the next thing she's going to want is a cd player in there! Shes going to learn what turns Mr hand into Mr fist here if she wants to change too many other things. LOL D
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Get a Cabela's Marine catalog. They have both carpet and vinyl.[/size][/blue]
I just finished building a casting deck for my boat. And covered it in carpet. I got carpet from a place here in Spanish Fork. Car carpet. It has rubber backing and cost 6.oo a yard. It has a tight weave and comes in just about any color. It's easy to work with and since its right here in town, I can go buy more when I need it. No shipping, no waiting.
I considered Vinyl, but didn't want to be sliding around in winter.
As far as the snap thing goes, who knows, might work. Or maybe velcro strips.

walleyebob
[signature]
I would also say carpet is better just for the fact that I think vinyl is slick

when wet. Also I used to have a 14 foot sea raider jetbaot and it had snaps

on the floor and sewn into the carpet it was the best. esspecially down to

powell because if you get a lot of sand or mud in it all I had to do was unsnap

it hang it over a clothes line or something and hose it out. but hey just my 2 cents
[signature]
[font "WST_Engl"]I recarpeted my boat last year and I bought mine at Wall 2 Wall next to Newgate Mall in Ogden. They were having a sale, it was 1.09 $ sq. ft. and I got it for .26.

[#0000ff]Keepin' the line tight and pole bent![/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
If you go with the carpet and like the idea of fishing but at the same time like the idea of keeping your carpet clean you may want to cut out a section of carpet that fits in over your original piece or the new piece that you put it. That way when you go fishing you put in your "fishing carpet" and when you are out tooling around with the wife and kids you have your "nice carpet" showing. This works well in my Bayliner. I have put a couple of pieces of velcro in unnoticable spots on the "nice carpet" and also on the "fishing carpet" so the "fishing capet" doesn't slide around. Blood, anchovy juice, dried worms, fish slime and spilled beer and Jack Daniels now adorne my "fishing carpet" and the wife, kids and non-fishermen friends who like to tube and ski see my "nice carpet"! Just and idea. KK
[signature]
I would like to thank everyone one for their views on this subject. I am actually going to go with traditional marine carpet. Danzilla and I are getting together next week to do a carpet party. I decided on this, because the carpet I just took out has been in there for 12 yrs and held up really well for the majority of the time. but I am looking to invest in another piece of carpet in the future that either snaps in over the fishing carpet, or velro, along the lines with what Kokekiller is talking about. But that will be after a few more projects I need to do on my floater!!! but once again thanks
[signature]
Predator,

Any way you could post a pic of your vinyl flooring. I've never seen it done and am very curious. I could see the advantages for a boat that gets fished heavily.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Those pics are the same ones that Danzilla showed me i think and on some boats, it is one slick system, putting in that vinyl. Hopefully they will get those pics posted!!![Smile]
[signature]
Hey, let me throw in another idea for you here. I had an older 17.5' open bow boat and the original textured vinyl flooring had holes through it in the walking paths. I was looking around for a good way to recover the floor, either with vinyl or carpet. I walked into Costco and they had rolls of outdoor grade UV and oil resistant carpet for really cheap. They didn't have a lot of colors, I think blue, green, and grey. I bought a roll of grey. I think it was $26. Took it home, peeled out the old flooring, cleaned the floor up, had some carpet glue, and glued down the new carpet, cutting the edges as I went. The boat had some boards that run along the floor that I took out before carpeting so I could put them back on later, covering the edge of the carpet.
Anyway, when it was all said and done it ended up looking great. I put in a set of new back-to-back seats and the boat looked 20 years newer. That carpet still looked great 2 years later when I sold the boat despite the fact that it often sat uncovered in the weather and 2 cycle oil and or a bit of gas ended up on the carpet from time to time.
The roll of carpet was almost perfect for the space I needed, with almost no waste at all. However, you will need to measure the inside dimensions of your boat to see if it would work for you.
I would use that stuff again in a heart beat.

The idea of vinyl sounds nice except for the fact that it could become extremely slick very fast. I can't imagine having a wet, slippery floor AND have the boat rocking at the same time I'm trying to wrestle in a fish, etc. My luck I would end up on my butt and watching my pole fall out of the boat.
[signature]