Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 9/12/07
Fished the Bear with my son yesterday. It was an awsome day with only a few fisherman and only 4 players all day. The first part of the day was spent looking for fish. Well we found them and they weren't in the usual place in fact most of the fish caught were in Idaho. We did catch a few on the west side in Utah and on the east side. But not many. The fish count for the day was: Todd 11. Dad 5[Sad]. But he loved it. All but 2 of the fish were mack and what was cool was they were all respectable for the Bear. We caught 6 between 10.5 lbs and 14.5 lbs. Mine was the biggest with Todd getting a 14 lb even. The rest were between 6 lbs to 10 lbs except for the two cuts which weighed in at a wopping 1 lb a piece. Seen a nice bull moose swimming across the lake. Stopped and took a pic but didn't dare get any closer didn't want to spook it and have it drown it was right in the middle of the lake swimming west. I'll post a picture of the moose, a couple of the nicer lakers and a Bear Lake sunset. Enjoy [Smile]

Bodine
[signature]
Great report Jeff, thanks for posting it. It seems it has been forever since we last heard two good reports from the Bear in one week. Is it normal for the fishing to pick up and be this good so early in the season?
[signature]
Usually not quite this good but it definantly starts improving once all the people leave the area. This was a record year for Bear Lake as far as the amount of people. This was my 1st time back out since The 1st of June.

Bodine
[signature]
Thats a great report Jeff!! I remember about 8 years ago seeing a young bull moose swimming across also crazy to see,glad to see you get some nice ones its only gona get better!! M.H.
[signature]
I've always wondered what deer, elk and moose are thinking when they come to a big body of water like BL and decide they are going to swim across it. I'm sure they have no way to reason that they can walk around but it makes me wonder if they have ever crossed a certain body of water before. Maybe it is just a route they follow every year and know it because they have done it before but either way that has got to be a long swim. How many miles do you think it is from the East side of BL to the West side at that point? It must take them at least an hour or two to swim that far. I've seen deer and elk swimming at Strawberry before but no distance that is as far as that moose is swimming.
[signature]
Not a bad report for anywhere, but particularly good fish for Bear Lake.
[signature]
Nice fish. From the wiped out back ground you are keeping secrets.[crazy] Maybe I need to trade that thunder jet for a custom weld.[shocked] I have to try something cause now I need a big fish fix.[cool] I am getting pretty excited about the fall fishing and it looks like bear will be in the mix. Thanks for the post. Dan
[signature]
Nice pictures. The mack look really healthy for bear Lake. The moose picture was pretty neat. Moose, deer, and elk all have hollow hair. It makes it pretty easy to swim with a built in life jacket all they have to do is paddle. I am glad you are considerate of the wildlife. I wish everyone was. Thanks for sharing. gshorthair
[signature]
Hey Curt at that point in the lake it is about 6.5 miles across. Them moose have a lot of stamina. I'm glad my picture turned out I was using a camera that is 8.1 mega pixel with a 6x zoom thats the only reason it did. We stayed quit aways from it didn't want to spook it.

Bodine
[signature]
Nice report for the bear, you did good. neat pic of the moose. I watched 2 doe cross the chanle at the berry one Oct. I was useing my elec. trolling motor I got with 50 yards and just watched. I could see the fear in their eyes but they never took their eyes off the shore line. I didn't want to get too close or spook then, didn't want them to drown. I watched as they made it to the shore and when they could stand they looked at me and staired. pretty cool to see that. later chuck
[signature]