Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing at Bear Lake 09/21/07
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Reelfast, Wiperslayer and I fished Bear lake yesterday from 8am till 4pm.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]It started off fast, with 4 nice macks up to 9lbs caught jigging in the first hour but slowed way down with no other fish caught until the afternoon, when we caught three small planter size cutts while we trolled. All the bigger fish were fat and it looked like they were eating well. It was a nice morning on the lake but the wind came up in the early afternoon and made jigging tough so we started trolling. We fished the West side of the lake and saw only one other boat fishing. Hopefully Dan will post some pictures. WH2[/size][/font]
[signature]
Yes I would like to see some pics. Hope he gets them up. Thanks Curt.
[signature]
He finally sent them to me, so here they are, nothing huge but a nice way to start off the new Bear lake season.
[signature]
Ah, Sweet. I am not going hunting till the last weekend of the rifle hunt on some PP. Then an elk hunt later in November. So fishing in October will be nice. Thanks CUrt.
[signature]
Way to go Curt glad to see you get out on the big blue pond,its just gona get better.M.H.
[signature]
Not a bad haul of lakers.
[signature]
Thanks guys, I just wish I could catch those big lakers trolling like you and Jeff do. Maybe one day I'll figure it out[unsure].
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Thanks for the early season report guys. Very nice to see those nice looking macks.
[signature]
Thanks Ralph, it's hard to see from that picture but the fish that Ira is holding was so fat it even had a hump on it's back. I don't know if you noticed but the DWR stocked more fish(cutts), in BL this year than I have ever heard of before. I'm thinking those macks are snacking on those little fish, we might be in for a good fall and winter fishing season at the Bear this year[cool].
[signature]
W.H. I can't wait to catch my first Mac through the ice this winter. I hope you're right and it will be a good season. Last winter was my trial run at those big fishies but alas, I was skunked both times I went out.

I've just gotta get one of those lunkers!
[signature]
[reply]
nothing huge but a nice way to start off the new Bear lake season. [/reply]
When does the 'season' start? I've never been to BL but have always wanted to go. When the the fishing gets hot in the fall (I'm guessing the fall) is it both the cutts and macks? Also, the age old question, is it better to jig or troll in the fall? I've been bass fishing for so long that I've lost my touch for the salmonoids [Sad]...I've been trying to render that lately but my boat is not set up for trolling except for the bowmount. I don't mean to hijack your post, I apologize, just trying to get back in touch with my slimy side [Tongue]. I would love to accompany someone with some knowledge of BL and the trout fishing up there. I would pay for gas and snacks but I'm only available on the weekends. Oh, and my daughter (7) would have to go so she could outfish me yet again. I would greatly appreciate any help, advice, or points in the right direction. I may just take my boat up there if had a clue of where to go and what to use. Those are some really nice fish in the pics above.
[signature]
F4F05 from my experience its usually good from after Labor day weekend when the boat traffic slows down. For tips and info go to the BL archives and look at the dates and reports that will give you tons of info!! M.H.
[signature]
Muskyhunter(MH) is right about the start of "the season", but really every year is different and I consider the start anytime you can catch several fish over 5 lbs. For Bear lake catching several fish over 10 pounds is a very good day. Yes, the fall can be hot for both the cutts and macks, of course the macks are the biggest, with fish up to 20 lbs and cutts up to 9 or 10 lbs. Trolling or jigging? That is the question, some of the guys are good at trolling, some are better at jigging, we do fairly good at jigging but would love to figure out how to troll for those bigger fish. You can use your bow mount for jigging, it helps finding those groups of fish but it's nice to have a good anchor to hold you in place if the wind comes up. Like MH said, check out the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=85;"]Bear Lake Archives[/url] for the best place to go and what to use. I use tube jigs tipped with cisco meat. WH2
[signature]
Maybe we can make a run up over Columbus Day. Got some deer to chase for a few days but that weekend looks like it will be open. Dan
[signature]
Since the other two trips we were talking about have fallen through that might not be a bad idea.
[signature]
WH2 Thanks for the report, was thinking about going up this weekend, but didn't know how it was going. Hope I can get into a few jigging. Thanks again.

If you know, Talk about it, IF NOT: SHUT UP;[shocked]
[signature]