Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humpback mac from Bear lake
Reelfast and I fished Bear lake today from 7:30am till 12 noon. Slow morning for us with only one fat mack caught. Those big macks are on the surface jumping and thrashing around, lots of fish moving up to the Rock pile, some as shallow as 40ft. After catching such fat humpback macks two trips in a row, I'm starting to wonder if these fish aren't those sterile macks that I've been hearing about. They seem to grow faster and bigger than the non sterile type that we have caught at Bear lake in the past, I'm not sure that is the case but these fish are different than those big headed fish of the past. After reading BLFG's report, it sounds like we should have spent our time trolling but it was still a nice day to get out and fish the big blue lake. WH2

[inline curtsmac2.jpg]
[signature]
Kind of a goofy looking fish, but I'll bet it was still fun to catch.
[signature]
It's a char. Why might not some of the males (I suspect you're catching the "jacks" or possibly better males) get a little "humpy" like pink salmon males do in Alaska during the spawn. I don't' know. I'm not an Ichthyologist [Smile]. I just wish I was catching them. Has anyone else caught "humpy" male Macs during the spawn?

Good on ya.
[signature]
Hey Curt that looks like a "Bonniville Sockeye"!! Glad you guys got out, I am sooo ready myself hopefully Friday?? M.H.
[signature]
Hey thats one of those new Macamon's. I heard that they planted them a few years back. LOL
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Glad you got out were able to enjoy this great fall weather we're having. You could be me and wishing you were fishing instead of rebuilding boats with a fury. One of these days I'll be done and get her back on the water and wet a line again.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sorry to hear about your boat problems Rich, hope your able to get it back on the water soon. I think I heard those macks calling your name yesterday[Wink].
[signature]
those are kinda cool looking fish, did you heep any of them ?? I'd like to see one like that, that is about 20lbs. thanks for showing
those. later chuck
[signature]
NO, I rarely keep fish from BL unless they are hooked too deep. I wish that lake had kokanee thought, then I would keep as much as was legal[Wink].
[signature]
10/06/06 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 29,312 11/01/05 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 2,312 10/31/05 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 11,889 11/10/04 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 7,794 11/09/04 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 18,784 11/08/04 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 9,604 11/06/03 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 917 11/07/02 Lake Trout Catchable (6 Inches+) 115 this is the Idaho part of Lake trout stocking in Bear Lake. Bear lake Fish guy may know if they are the sterilized type. I won't cut and paste the Utah Cutt stocking report as it is huge. So we get about 150,000 Cutts per year. That may be causing the obiesity in the Lakers. I just wish we could get a few more of them Lakers. They are the minor fish in the lake.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ya, I bet those macks were calling my name! They were probably flippin' me the tail![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'll be back on the water fairly soon. I'm basically rewiring and rebuilding my console for the new motor. If you saw my boat last weekend you would of thought it a lost cause. Demolition is complete and the re-building process has now commenced. I hope I don't run into any glitches. If I'm that lucky, I'll be back on the water in a week or two.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]