Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 10/11/07
Took three of my grandkids to Mantua today. Took awhile to locate the fish, but found them in 13 to 15' of water. Caught lots of perch and bluegill for bait on Saturday (going after the sturgeon again). We also caught two bass, with the largest going 13 3/4" long. Fun time with the kids.
[signature]
Perch and Bluegill? The guy who takes me uses only trout for bait.
Were going next week. I've about got the 80 yd cast with 8 and bait down. I've ordered a Williams rod called the "Nail" that is supposed to cast 12 and bait 130 yds with 50 lb on a 4/0. I'm going to match the rod to a magnitised Boss. Should be good for another 20 yds or so.
[signature]
One of my largest sturgeon was caught on bluegill. I met a guy once up there who first went fishing for perch (they are in The Snake River) because he said that perch were the best bait for sturgeon. I have gotten bites on cisco. I was also hoping to catch a trout or two to use for bait (For the area that we are fishing on Saturday rainbow morts, from the local hatcheries, are the go-to bait). I wish I knew where to get some fresh morts up there early in the morning.
[signature]
MORT, SNIT's (Standard Nine Inch Trout) are Jim's preferred bait. He is on Vacation in PA for last week and this, but I'll ask him where he gets them when he gets back.
[signature]
That would be great. There are several places up there to purchase them, but I need one that is open early. Forgot to mention, where I usually fish, crappie are excellent bait, and I have several of them ready to be returned to The Snake River (we caught a boat-load of them last trip up there).
[signature]
If you need some easy 'SNIT's try Jensen nature park in Syracuse. On long work days I will drop by there after work and throw a hopper and dropper (usually pheasent tail) for an hour or so. It is non-stop and plenty of planters.

Only a 4 fish limit though...
[signature]
Someone clarify for me. I thought it was illegal to use trout you have caught in Utah for bait. Or does that only apply on Utah waters?
[signature]
Where do you guys fish for the Sturgeon?
[signature]
It is legal to fish with game fish for bait in Idaho (where they are going to be used for bait).
[signature]
Around Mountain Home and around Twin Falls.
[signature]
ASK FISH AND GAME: USING FISH, FISH PARTS AS STURGEON BAITS Publication: [url "http://www.allbusiness.com/us-fed-news-service-including-us-state-news/20060327/3481543-1.html"]US Fed News Service, Including US State News[/url]
Date: Monday, March 27 2006
You are viewing page 1
The Idaho Fish and Game Commission issued the following news release:
Q. Is it legal to catch game fish and use them as sturgeon bait?
A. In Idaho, you can use fish and fish parts for bait anywhere except in "no bait" waters. Many anglers use dead rainbow trout or trout parts from hatcheries for sturgeon bait, but they need a receipt to show the source if they have more than six trout in their possession.

If other species of gamefish are used, anglers need to watch limits for them as well. Contact: Ed Mitchell, 208/334-3700.
Ed Mitchell, 208/334-3700.
In addition, make sure to read these articles:
[signature]
I didn't think anyone else knew what a SNIT was.
[signature]
yea. I don't know the laws pertaining to this.. just trying to help out. I haven't kept a fish in years, whether SNIT or a trophy trout.
[signature]