Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake
Went out today to try my hand at fishing the big blue. My kid would not get out of bed and my company never showed up so off I went alone. Met up with a couple BFT friends at the marina and after a jump start we all were off to get the fish. Well, we were off alright but no fish on my boat. I did hook up with one nice battle but I got the tail wag see ya at the boat. Still fun though.

I stayed on the water till about 1:30 messing around with my new finder trying to learn the ins and outs of it all. I also messed around with one of my rods that was rigged up with lead line trying to figure out the number of colors, speed, and lure dive. Man that was an interesting thing. I have non lead sinking line and it appears that I have a drop of 3-5 feet with a 5-10 foot diving lure trolling at 1.5 mph (GPS).

I also noticed that the rigger balls (10lb) had alot of swing to them. I was trolling at 1.5 MPH (again GPS) and I was marking 60 feet on the finder and I dropped the balls to 60 feet and did not hit bottom. I then dropped them until I bumped the bottom and the marker on the riggers showed 64 feet. This is something of interest to me and something I plan to work the bugs out of. Good thing I can see both rigger balls on the finder so I can keep tabs on where I am at.

Anyhow, I am still at the lake and it is an absolutely beautiful day. I hope to get out tommorow for a couple hours before heading back to the dreaded grind!

Time for a gin and tonic and fire up the grill. No fish but burgers will do!
[signature]
[black][size 3]When I first started using downriggers, I had the same situation. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Did you zero the counter on your downrigger at the same under water depth as your transducer?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Also, there will always be some swing to the ball, even if you troll under 1 mph. Water has considerable resistance on both ball and cable.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Yup, I adjusted the counter on the rigger and adjusted my finder for hull draw. I think I have it all tuned in now. Pretty drawn out process but still pretty easy once you have a base line and time to do it. Today was the perfect day to LEARN my equipment.
[signature]
was good to see you this morning Pat and thanks for the jump start. DJRemo, his wife and i move quite a bit to find fish after getting remo and his wife rigged up remo hooked into a 5# native cut and his wife got a couple bites but nothing to brag about, was a great day for fishing just nothing else went right.

[inline remo5#.jpg]
[signature]