Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report for Saturday
[font "Arial"][black][size 3]OK, I want to update the status of the lake trout spawn: Now is the time! They are spawning in the shallows over rocks. The guys casting off the marina in the mornings are doing pretty good, but it depends on the day. I talked to one guy who fished from his boat for 10 hours yesterday without catching a fish, but he casted from the shore this morning and caught 3 nice lakers that were all over 10lbs. The spawn is about one week earlier this year and I would bet it will peak this week and wind down by the first or second week of November.
So now to the Saturday report:
I launched off Cisco Beach at 8:00am in a light rain, very overcast, and breeze out of the north, but no whitecaps. Started trolling within a 1/2 mile of the boat ramp in 17' of water (I am not going to reveal my exact location). I caught notta. Then I moved into 12'....notta again. I then moved into 8' and BINGO!!! The fish are in shallow and were aggressive. Too bad the wind was blowing right out of the north. It made boat control very tough to stay on the depth. I tangled lines a couple of times, but boated 3 lakers in spite of it! One was 7lb, one 9lb, and one about 16lb. The biggest was caught in only 6 feet of water. I got blowed off the lake at that point and had a hellofa time putting my boat on the trailer. I think I could of really put a hurt on them if the wind wasn't so strong. Naturally this afternoon it calmed down and the sun even came out.
This has been a crazy week for me at Bear Lake. I fished on Monday 10/8 and tore them up off the marina in about 15 feet of water. I then fished Friday 10/12, again off the marina in the same depth. It was much slower, but we still boated 2 fish and lost another. Anyway, the reports I have seen on BFT have been saying it is slow for the jiggers on the rockpile. I say when they are hitting for the trollers, then TROLL.....don't jig! Try something new. It goes both ways too. If the jiggers are doing better, then shut off the trolling motor and start jigging. Try different techniques. The fishing is good, but you gotta be willing to try different things. [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for posting the update on the spawn Scott and way to go on the nice macks. Did you take any pictures of those lakers you caught?
[signature]
He probably did. But heaven forbid you put a pic up that aint perfect, OMG![unsure]

The next fish I catch, no matter how big or small, species or condition, I am gonna take a pic, and post it. Just for the HE!! of it!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Dang Rebbel Rouser ...

Soon be time to try some new jigging techniques up there eahhhh Riley?
[signature]
Nice report.
[signature]
Yes it will[Wink] I am planning on going out with Tolentino and do the gill nets on the 25th, Thursday. Then stay the night and get up and give them heck on Friday the 26th. Could be a good time for a BL flotilla?

Who is a rebel rouser? Some folks need to just quit whineing. Wine is meant to be consumed with a fine meal Of what else,Fish![Wink]
[signature]
no pics this time. I was too busy fighting the wind while driving the boat and fighting the fish and then trying to get the fish back in the water........all in a timely fashion and without being washed up on the rocky shore. It was like America's funniest videos. The only problem was I was the "star". Next time I need a partner!
[signature]
Yea that would be tough, boat control in the wind along a rocky shore line landing a fish while trying to take a picture, I'd say you need a partner. So you need a Partner, I bet there are plenty of folks that would take you up on that, including myself.
[signature]
Very good report Scott. I'll see you Monday for a little netting ! If you know what I mean.

If you know; Talk about it;IF NOT; SHUT UP![shocked]
[signature]