Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arizona Fishing Report - Feb. 13, 2008
Central Arizona

URBAN LAKES - Trout were stocked in all of the urban lakes last week. Anglers using scented dough baits (such as Power Bait), worms fished under a bobber, or small trout lures have been successful. Try fishing with minnows along the bottom for larger trout and the occasional bass or catfish. Best time to fish for trout generally is early morning, but some anglers have reported excellent fishing later in the afternoon. Small spinners such as Rooster Tails and Panther Martins, or spoons such as KastMasters are also working well for trout. Fly anglers can have success using wooly buggers and small beadhead nymphs.

TEMPE TOWN LAKE -Not stocked due to high pH levels and high flows.

LAKE PLEASANT - Water elevation is 1,687 ft, which is 83-percent full.

One angler did report doing well for stripers on anchovies, shad, and just about anything else he threw at them. Humbug and Castle Creek have been the most productive areas for stripers. Be cautious of debris.

One angler reported doing well fishing at night near the marina using cut anchovies as bait, adding that chumming liberally is the key to holding stripers once you get an initial bite.

Durin the day, watch the gulls; they can point you to some of the action, if you can get there fast enough.

With the discovery of invasive quagga mussels Lake Pleasant, proper cleaning of all watercraft is critical to help prevent the spread of these invaders. Please drain your livewell, then clean and dry your boat. Drain all the water you can from your engine. Also, inspect your vessel and trailer, removing any visible mussels, but also feel for any rough or gritty spots on the hull. These may be young mussels that can be hard to see. For more information, go to the Arizona Game and Fish Department's Web pages at www.azgfd.gov or visit http://100thmeridian.org/.

ROOSEVELT LAKE -- Lake Elevation is 2,136 ft (81-percent full). Salt River Project expects this lake to fill - for the first time since the dam was raised in 1996. Tonto Creek runoff was at 999 cfs while inflow from the Salt River was at 2,690 cfs on Feb. 11.

Received a few reports of debris on the water and saw a picture of debris covering much of the surface in the Windy Hill area of Roosevelt early last week. Fishing has been slow with tournament reports of only a few anglers catching fish. Things should hopefully start picking up with the recent warm weather. Be careful of debris.

APACHE -- Lake elevation is 1,911 ft (97-percent full).

We received a report that the yellow bass fishing is starting to pick up at Apache Lake. Try using and 1/8-ounce KastMaster for yellows. Also, Apache Lake received all of the rainbow trout intended for Canyon Lake this year due to the reservoir draw down and a few additional trout. There should be plenty of trout in Apache to catch. Try using Panther Martins, Rooster Tails, and Mepps spinners.

CANYON - Open to boating again, but watch out for floating debris. Lake elevation is 1,659 ft, which is 97-percent full. Might be a little challenging to fish until it settles down, but this is shaping up to be a decent year for fishing here once it does, thanks to all the nutrient inflows and the artificial fish habitats installed while the lake level was done.

The Forest Service in planning a grand reopening event at the Canyon Lake Marina from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.<br />
SAGUARO -- Lake elevation1,528 feet at 98-percent full. Three hundred pounds of rainbow trout were delivered last week.

One angler caught five bass this past weekend fishing Zoom lizards and Zoom finesse worms. His fishing partner was able to catch four trout and two bass dragging a night crawler behind the boat. I also heard that the yellow bass and bluegill fishing is beginning to pick up. Try fishing a 1/8-ounce KastMaster (gold-colored has been working best) for both yellows and bluegill.

BARTLETT - Lake elevation is 1,797 feet, which is 99-percent full. There was an ABA Team Tournament here on Saturday, Feb. 9 with a number of anglers weighing a limit of fish. The largest bass weighed was 3.04 pounds. Watch out for floating debris. Jaime Orzechowski and Kenny Williamson won the tournament at by weighing 8.63 pounds of bass.

HORSESHOE -- Lake elevation is at 2026 feet, which is 98-percent full! SRP is releasing water at 2,000 cfs and the inflows are 1,980 cfs - it should stay pretty full until outflows well exceed inflows. The road is still closed. Check with the Cave Creek Ranger Station for more information.

VERDE RIVER -- Verde River flow at Tangle Creek was 1,980 cubic feet per second (cfs) on Feb. 12.<br />
LOWER SALT RIVER (below Saguaro Lake) - SRP is releasing 8 cfs out of Stewart Mountain dam from Saguaro as of today. Releases from Bartlett Lake are currently at 2,290 cfs on Feb. 12. Trout have been stocked at the Phon D. Sutton Recreation area (confluence of the Salt and Verde Rivers) downstream from Blue Point Bridge. Fishing has been picking up since the turbid runoff calmed down.

CREEKS - High flows in all the creeks made trout fishing poor. The flows will need to settle down and the weather warm up some. With the excellent snow pack it ought to be a pretty good spring.

Colorado River Northwest

LAKE POWELL - By Wayne Gustaveson. Fish are waiting for the days to lengthen and the water to warm just a bit. For now the best fishing is under the marinas with night fishing being better than in daylight.<br />
Powell Outlook: in trying to predict future fishing results, I have looked in the past for events that are similar to conditions that will be in place in 2008.

Striped bass populations are near the bottom of the population "boom-and-bust" cycle and will be rebuilding. Young stripers will dominate the catch.

Smallmouth bass lag a year or two behind stripers in population swings. Bass will be represented by a balanced population equally represented by young and old fish. Other species are less abundant than the big two so it is almost impossible to predict subtle changes in their abundance and catchability. Fish populations in 2008 most closely resemble conditions found in 1999.

The second major factor is spring runoff. Spring inflow has been modest the past few seasons. Snow pack is currently building with more storms on the way. An optimistic viewpoint suggests that a large spring flood is expected. With fingers crossed then, water level increases in 2008 will be compared to 2005 when the lake level increased more than 40 feet. Fishing results will be more similar to 1999 when shad abundance was small.

The largest variable cannot be estimated. That is the effect of storm fronts that cool the water and drastically impact fishing success for a 3-5 day period following the storm. Those events will happen but are not factored in because of their unpredictability. Typically, warming periods provide the best spring fishing, regardless of moon phase.

With that introduction this is my best guess on fishing prospects for 2008.

Fishing success for striped bass and walleye will improve in late February. The best early success will be found near the inflows of the Colorado and San Juan Rivers. Fishing will improve lake-wide in the backs of canyons rather than the main channel. Slow trolling (2 mph) will be the most effective technique.

March fishing success will be punctuated by spring storms making fishing success spotty. Some of the best largemouth bass fishing is found on warm March afternoons in shallow coves with brush. Shad scarcity will make crayfish the most sought after prey item. Crayfish are best imitated by bottom bouncing grubs fished in rocky structure. Stripers on a crayfish diet are extremely susceptible to anchovy bait. In the main lake bait fishing for stripers will catch more fish, but at the inflow area trolling and casting will be better.

Smallmouth bass and striped bass fishing will improve in April. Search for both species in the murky colored water in the backs of the canyons. Clear water is colder and not as productive until water warms above 60 degrees.<br />
Best spring fishing will occur in late April when water is warming but runoff has not significantly increased lake elevation. Expect bass to spawn the third week of April. Bass will be visibly building nests on the shallow shoreline.<br />
Striped bass will be in the same canyon locations with bass, just further out in deeper water off the edge of spawning flats. In those special years when bass spawning precedes lake elevation rise, fishing success is beyond belief. An early snow melt will negate this event.

Expect the lake to be rising rapidly by the Fourth week of April. Runoff will muddy the water all the way to Bullfrog by mid to late May. When northern waters are stained, fishing for most species is better south from Bullfrog to Padre Bay.

May is the very best month to catch walleye when they are forced to feed during the day as warming water increases their metabolism. Walleye numbers are highest north of Bullfrog and walleye like murky water.

Striped bass will be caught half way between the back of the canyon and the main channel. Lack of abundant shad in the canyon moves stripers toward detectable current of the main channel in April and May. Striper fishing success by numbers will certainly be less, maybe much less, than seen in the record breaking harvest years of 2005 to 2007. Finding moving striper schools will be challenging but once located the school will be cooperative. Striper health and condition will be dramatically improved, making up for fewer fish caught.

LEES FERRY - Fishing report courtesy Lees Ferry Guides and Anglers. Fishing was good for most anglers. However there were some that didn't do as well. I have a feeling it was all about location. One of our guides never went further than half way to the dam and had a spectacular day! Go figure.

I remember way back in the olden days 1995-96 a guy could go to just about any spot on the river and do well. Things have changed a bit since then, there are less fish in the system now and are a little harder to get to take your fly.

With everything just right"¦ presentation, the drift and the proper amount of weight and of course the right choice of flies one can still have a GREAT day. The weather is looking good for the next few days. Temperatures in the mid 50s it might be time to see how you do fishing at the ferry. Hope to see you soon!! Get out and enjoy this spring like weather.

If you want to see what fishing is like at Lees Ferry, visit the KUTV Web site out of Salt Lake City<br />
Walk-in: This area may have shut down for another day again. The reports I received were not too positive. Some folks were down there all day long and only had a few fish to talk about. Not that I'm the wizard of the walk in section, or any thing like that. I am going to try my skill down there on Monday. That's the soonest I can get down there and I'll let you know how I did! I think it might be barometric. You know the old Atmospheric pressure differential. Tee hee hee I don't know. That's fishin!!!

Spin Fishing: Glo bugs on the drift were the way to go. There were several boats drifting the channel and seemed to do well. Plastic worms, and San Juans picked a few up as well.

Fishing Synopsis and Forecast by Terry Gunn 12/07/07: What a difference a month can make"¦the new flows that went to effect on Dec. 1 have certainly changed things! First and foremost: The trout are spawning! I would not call it a river-wide spawn but we are seeing several groups of fish spawning in a few traditional areas of the river.

This is the first time in at least a couple of years that we have seen fish spawning in December, which is historically a "normal" time for the trout to spawn at Lees Ferry. I'm not sure if it will continue or build in strength any time soon, but we'll keep you up-to-date with our daily reports. The Sad thing is that there is nobody here to see the fish spawning. Most days there have been NO boats on the river"¦there is less traffic this December than I have seen in my 25 year career here at the Ferry.

The water flows from Glen Canyon Dam increased on 12/1 as they do every year. The current flow is 9,000 cfs to 16,000 cfs, with the water rising early in the morning and then beginning a slow drop around 11 AM. The flow in January is expected to be the same as December. The higher flows mean that there is more food being transported and moved around so the fish are getting well fed. In the process, they are in a feeding mood and thus more likely to eat a fly.<br />
For a real time graphic view of water releases and ramp rates go here:<br />
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv?09380000

Overall the trout are in great shape and the average size is larger than we have seen in several years. I predict that the size and condition of the fish will continue to improve this winter and we should continue to see great fishing for the remainder of 2007 and into 2008. I expect the spring season at Lees Ferry to be even better than last year, which was the best that we have seen in years.

I have had some people that are fishing on their own (unguided) and tell me that they are having a difficult time catching fish. The fishing has changed from the peak of 2000 and many people are not adapting to the new conditions. The current fish population is lower than it was in 2000 and there are not fish "everywhere" in the river like there was several years back (this is probably the reason that we are seeing better conditioned and larger fish today).<br />
Just because you might have been successful in one spot on the river in the past does not mean that particular spot is always good. There are many times of the year that the water flows, or conditions are not right to hold fish at "famous" spots such as 4 mile or Dam Island. It is often challenging, even for a good guide, to stay on top of where the fish are and what they are eating; but we do have the advantage of spending a lot of time on the water.<br />
There are a tremendous number of fingerling trout in the river as a result of the terrific spawn that we saw in the spring of 2007 which bodes well for the future"¦the downside is that these fish will not be of catchable size until the fall of 2008.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department has detected whirling disease in a small percentage of Lees Ferry trout that were collected for a random sampling. For those of you who are not familiar with whirling disease; this disease only affects fingerling trout and limits their survival. Adult trout can harbor the disease but in all respects appear healthy and normal.

The arrival of whirling disease at Lees Ferry isn't good news nor is it necessarily terrible news. Whirling disease has infected many of the Western states' fabled trout streams with greater and lesser affects depending on the watershed. The Madison comes to mind as one river that was severely impacted while the San Juan suffered no noticeable impact from whirling disease. Lees Ferry has more in common with the San Juan than the Madison"¦both Lees Ferry and the San Juan are tail-water rivers with clear, cold water which is a consistent temperature year-around.<br />
Consistent cold water temperatures are believed by most experts on the disease to keep the spread and severity of the disease in check. I'll be sure to keep you informed as more data becomes available. In the mean time when you do come to Lees Ferry be sure to clean your wading gear thoroughly before you leave to prevent the spread of whirling disease. For more information visit: http://www.whirling-disease.org

LAKE MEAD - No new reports. The striper fishing at Lake Mead has been a little challenging. Catfish are still biting at night. The ramp is open at South Cove, but it is a gravel ramp. Be careful when launching here. The lake elevation has come up a little at around 1,116 feet above msl. State and federal biologists sampled fish populations in Lake Mead during October and found gizzard shad for the first time. This is not a surprise since they have been found in Powell since 2000.

Important notice: With the recent discovery of invasive quagga mussels in Mead, Mohave and Havasu, proper cleaning of all watercraft is critical to help prevent the spread of these invaders. Please drain and dry your livewell and bilge on land. Drain all the water you can from your engine. Also, inspect your vessel and trailer, removing any visible mussels, but also feel for any rough or gritty spots on the hull. These may be young mussels that can be hard to see.<br />
For more information, go to the Arizona Game and Fish Department's web pages at azgfd.gov or visit http://100thmeridian.org/.

LAKE MOHAVE - The striper bite has been a little challenging. The stripers seen in the fall were fat and full of shad, with schools of shad being chased by striped bass.If the shad are making a comeback, we may see more mid-size stripers in the basin. If you can find schools of shad, throw a small crankbait. I've also received reports of largemouth being caught in 25 to 35 feet of water on drop-shots.

Biologists from both Arizona Game and Fish Department and Nevada Division of Wildlife installed fish habitat in Carp cove on Dec. 12-13. A total of 84 wood pallets and 16 4X4-foot PVC structures were put into Lake Mohave in an attempt to increase angler success. Additional habitat will be added at several locations over the next two years.

There is a wheelchair accessible fishing pier just south of the main launch ramp at Katherine's Landing. If you fish Mohave and are having luck, please e-mail me at mchmiel@azgfd.gov so I can share your successes with others.

Important notice: With the recent discovery of invasive quagga mussels in Mead, Mohave and Havasu, proper cleaning of all watercraft is critical to help prevent the spread of these invaders. Please drain and dry your livewell and bilge on land. Drain all the water you can from your engine. Also, inspect your vessel and trailer, removing any visible mussels, but also feel for any rough or gritty spots on the hull. These may be young mussels that can be hard to see.<br />
For more information, go to the Arizona Game and Fish Department's web pages at azgfd.gov or visit http://100thmeridian.org/.

WILLOW BEACH - Trout are stocked every Friday. The fishing for trout has been good from shore immediately following the stocking. Try using a Jake, Panther Martin, or other spinner's or spoons. If that doesn't work you can always use Power Bait.

Important notice: With the recent discovery of invasive quagga mussels in Mead, Mohave and Havasu, proper cleaning of all watercraft is critical to help prevent the spread of these invaders. Please drain and dry your livewell and bilge on land. Drain all the water you can from your engine. Also, inspect your vessel and trailer, removing any visible mussels, but also feel for any rough or gritty spots on the hull. These may be young mussels that can be hard to see. If you fish Willow beach and are having luck, please e-mail me at mchmiel@azgfd.gov so I can share your successes with others.

TOPOCK MARSH -Water level is down, so be careful launching. The bass and catfish are in the channel. While the bite has been slow, there is no shortage of fish in the channel on the north side.

Game and Fish biologists surveyed the Marsh starting on the week of Jan. 15. The largemouth bass population was observed to be very healthy, as well as channel catfish. Crappie were also present, but in smaller numbers.<br />
On Oct 13, 45 kids participated in a fishing clinic at Five Mile landing that produced carp, bass, channel catfish, and one green sunfish. One little girl caught a 10-pound carp her first time fishing.

You can access the marsh by boat at North Dike, Catfish Paradise, and Five-Mile Landing. All three also provide plenty of area for shoreline fishing too. For more information on the marsh, contact the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge at (760) 326-3853 or go to http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/ari...index.html.

COLORADO RIVER BELOW DAVIS DAM - Trout stocking resumed in October. Fishing has been good below Davis Dam, but look for it to be even better immediately following the trout stockings. Fish and Wildlife Service stocks once a month in this area.

The fish are stocked in two locations; Davis Camp and near The Riverside.

Striper fishing has been slow, but fish are still being caught. Water levels on the river fluctuate, so be careful. You can check the Bureau of Reclamation Web site for flow predictions http://www.usbr.gov/lc/riverops.html before you go. If you fish the river below Davis Dam and are having luck, please e-mail me at mchmiel@azgfd.gov so I can share your successes with others.

Southwestern Arizona

LAKE HAVASU - The striper bite is fair to moderate with the best times being pre-dawn and into to the late evening dark hours. Best baits for the early morning and late evening bite are the White Rattle Traps and Bass Assassins with green tails. The glow in the dark 4-5 inch Bass Assassin green paddle tail swim baits are working well too. During the daylight hours, slow troll anchovies with at least 2 ounces of weight. These rigs must come in contact with the bottom to be effective with the cooler water temperatures.

The striped bass are generally more aggressive and feed more readily during the windy days. The use of live shad is producing good results too. The traditional snagging hook serves two purposes; one to snag the shad and two to recast out and catch the striper. If you have to touch the shad, then be sure to mask your scent with the shad formula spray scents. If you're getting short bites, then use this same product on the live baits and artificial baits as this leaves a strong aromatic trail that entices the fish to strike and hold the bait longer.

The largemouth and smallmouth bass bite is very slow right now. There have been some reports of some nice largemouth being caught off the docks at Mesquite Bay 1 and 2. These fish were caught using large lipless crankbaits in the colors of white and chartreuse shad. The smallmouth will begin their transition stages of spawning as the weather begins to warm up. Look for these fish to move up from the deeper waters to about 8 to 10 feet. The best colors for crankbaits or soft plastics for smallmouth bass are Crawdad shades and Chartreuse Whites. When the water temperatures reach 58-60 degrees these fish feed more actively and aggressively, and it's "Game On!!"

Important notice: Quagga mussels have been found in Lake Havasu so proper cleaning of all watercraft is critical to help prevent the spread of these invaders. Please move to the parking lot, DRAIN your live-wells and bilge where the water does not return to the lake. Drain all the water you can from your engine. Also, INSPECT your watercraft and trailer, removing any visible mussels, but also feel for any rough or gritty spots on the hull. These may be young mussels that can be hard to see.

PARKER STRIP - Water levels have been restored on the strip for the most part. Local anglers report good fishing for sunfish using mealworms and a slip weight on the bottom. Bass fishing has been slow, but may start turning on in the next month or so depending on the weather. Catfish may start biting as well. Try live bait like bluegill or shad for flatheads. Channel cats will take night crawlers, chicken livers, and other stinky baits.

Beginning Feb. 9, Game and Fish will have stocked some nice rainbow trout in the ponds at La Paz County Park in support of the 29th annual Take a Kid Fishing event. Everyone is invited to participate with registration beginning at 10 a.m. and fishing from 11a.m. to 2:30 p.m. All bait and tackle will be available to borrow.

ALAMO LAKE - The Alamo Lake Cleanup is set up for Saturday, March 1 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. State Parks will waive camp fees for those that stay in the group use area. For all the details contact Stewart Kohnke, wildlife manager at (928) 684-3763 or (928) 342- 0091. Those who would like to donate items for the raffle should also contact Kohnke.

This report courtesy Mark Knapp, Alamo Lake State Park: Well folks, you are not missing a lot out here. The lake has come up 14 feet in the last couple of weeks, and continues to look like a chocolate milkshake. There are log jams floating all over the place. The water temp is 52 degrees in the morning and fishing is pretty bad for the most part. The exception is cat fishing. A local from Salome, Butch, caught 19 nice sized catfish yesterday. He went as far up the river channel as he could get by boat and used night crawlers for bait. It's going to take a couple of weeks for the lake to settle and the water temp to rise. Once this happens, it going to be a great year of bass fishing. We have had a few days in the 70s this week. If we don't get rain this week, then things will start to turn on real soon. The lake level is at 1,124ish with releases of 40 cfs. Hopefully I will have better news next week.