Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Trolling Motor
I got a 16ft ALuminum boat last fall with a 18hp Outboard motor on it. It works pretty well and gets me, my wife, and daughter around the lake with pretty good speed. We trolled with the 18hp motor last year and although we did ok and caught fish I felt we were going a bit too fast. I was wondering if a Electric Trolling motor would work well with my boat set up. How long do the batteries last on a electronic motor and what thrust should I be looking at? We don't troll alot of heavy popgear set ups mostley spoons and needlefish on light rods.

Mark
[signature]
Mark,

Before i got my bass boat i had a 14ft sea nymph. All i used was a 40lb thrust trolling motor for everything, i didnt even have a gas powered motor. Point being, if you buy a quality marine battery and i would recommend at least a 40lb thrust motor you should be very happy wiht the outcome. I think Wal-Mart sells the 44lb for around $200. Its a transome mount but will work well and keep the cost down......hope this helps!
[signature]
Hi,
If you're just looking to control your boat speed while trolling, another option to consider would be a trolling plate. It attaches to your motor, and when you need to slow your speed down, you flip it into the vertical position, and it "deadens" the thrust of your motor. I have one on my 9.9 hp kicker motor, and it works fine. I think I paid $25 to $50 for it. It might be a much cheaper alternative for you. Regards, Fred K.
[signature]
I have an extra trolling plate in my garage that I'll let you have for $20, if it will fit your motor. I already have one on my 35hp and it works great. I'm just trying to get rid of this extra one. Let me know.
[signature]
I have a Minn Kota 55 Vector with a 42" shaft that I use like 5 times when I had my fishing boat two years ago. Just collecting dust in the garage.

Cabelas sells it for about $280.00

Let me know if you want a good used unit for a fair price.

Shawn
[signature]