Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook Sharpening
This is something I am very sloughful in doing. My questions is do you need to sharpen high end hooks right of the package, and if fishing the same hook how long before a person should touch it up? Thanks in advance Paul
[signature]
If the hook is of average quality or less, I sharpen them right out of the package. I have noticed that some of the higher end hooks like the Eagle Claw Laser Sharp, the Mustad Ultra Point, and anything made by Owner, do not need sharpening from the factory. I have not tried X-Point hooks yet, but I hear very good things. I will touch up hooks after a particularly large fish, a rock snag, a log snag, or if they just dont feel right anymore. Hope it helps.
[signature]
now somebody explain 'chemically sharpened' to me . . and i had a couple yrs of college chemistry . . .

thanks!

sm
[signature]
Chemical sharpening is much like when you suck on a candy cane long enough. The hook is exposed to a corrosive material which takes away layers of material just like you sucking on a candycane. Just like a candycane if you stop at the right time then you are left with an incredibly sharp hook. This process is great for the manufacturer because it can be done on thousands of hooks at once without any machining.
[signature]
You can never go wrong wit Gamasku hooks. They work like a hot knife through butter.
[signature]
Just don't buy the no name brands. I don't spend more than 5 bucks for a 100 bait hooks but the fly hook are different. I spent 12 bucks for a box of 100.

If it's a bait hook and it needs sharpening then it goes into the trash.
[signature]
[size 2]I keep several files in my boat to keep hooks sharp. Cranks ticking bottom, crawler harnesses dragging through rocks or weeds, even catching fish can dull hooks.[/size]
With the new super sharp hooks, you can actually ruin them by sharpening right out of the package. I buy packs of the new trebles and regularly replace them on my cranks and other often used lures. Hooks are the first point of contact, make sure they're in good shape.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]