Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kolob Res. (report)
[size 2]I went up to Kolob yesterday and it was a bite or a fish on with almost every cast. The fish have adjusted to the illegal bait fishing and so they bite like most fish that are in a heavily bait fished area. [/size][size 2]I showed up at the Kolob around 3 and it took me a couple of hours to figure out what they wanted. I basically thought about what worked good before and when down the list hairs ears, princes, woolly buggers and finally I pulled out some of the big buggers I'd tied for Minersville. The first fish I caught was on a woolly worm and that fish fought better than that bass I caught in New castle. [/size]

[size 2]Once I casted out it grabbed it almost as soon as it hit the water. I set the hook and it ran out about 50 feet. I wasn't ready and scrambled to give it some line but the fish didn't stop. It gave it's all unlike most fish I've caught they usually give a nice run jump and then they are done. I thought is this one of the huge fish we couldn't get through the ice early this year maybe it was one of those 20 plus inch monsters that everybody dreams off. After about 3 minutes I thought it was defeated but I was wrong it shot out like a ragen bull but I was ready this time and quickly gave it line. Three, four maybe five minutes more and I had it in close to shore it was ready to give up. It splashed around, jumped a couple of times and with it's last bit of strength made for the other side of the shore. I knew the fish didn't have enough strength for another long run so I held fast and turned it with in seconds. With the head raised up I dragged it into shore to give a quick release and guessing on the size and weight. It wasn't the 20 plus monster I thought it was before it was around 4 pounds and 19 inches with the most beautiful spawning colors I'd ever seen at Kolob. Every fish had the same beautiful markings and brilliant colors. The fish haven't begun to spawn yet and I made every release in the water. In fact the females were so fat and fully of eggs I thought they looked deformed with the egg sacks making large bumps on their sides. The fish have definitely eat well during the winter months. This trip brought back some fond memories of fishing Lee's Ferry during late December and the bitter cold and constantly breaking of ice from the loops and line. Well if not for the sun I'd say it was almost like that beautiful scenery, big fish and the constant harassment of ducks and the occasional hawk flying over head. What a perfect day. [/size]
[signature]
Any body else been up to Kolob yet.
[signature]
Glad to hear it is fishin good. I had planned a trip down there for over a year now right after ice off. Soon after I saw the pressure it was receiving and I have decided to skip it this year. Good to see them getting bigger in there again.
[signature]
The fishing pressure has gotten bad but the lake is big and their is plenty of room. It still isn't as bad as the Green or Lee's Ferry and most of the people are locals who don't mind somebody fishing next to them as long as people are respectful of their bit of space. I would make a trip even if was just to check out Zion park and camp. If you want I'll fish with ya.
[signature]
im debating the situation. as i said i ws bent to go down and there was nothing stopping me. now its a bit different. i don enjoy fishing with alot of noise and people all around me. i would bring my tube if i did go want to learn the structure out on the lake. last time i went it was from shore had a great time fishing even if it did snow on us haha. if i go it will be the weekend after this one. ill let you know what we decide and if you want to hit it im game would enjoy meeting you.
[signature]
The fishing has changed a lot with the lake being down 15 or 20 feet. I think the lake has finally adjusted to the low water condition and maybe this year well see some good hatch's.

Sounds good I always enjoy good company and even better, fishing.
[signature]
ill hit it with ya mothers day if ya want . . the day after the panguitch lake get together . . may 11th

sm
[signature]
hmmmm that might be able to work southern. since its in the genearl vacinity. lets see what happens but sounds like a decent plan to me.
[signature]
I also went to Kolob with some friends and we caught tons of fish. the fun thing is it was on little salmon egg flys. we found out though that san juan worms are working the best.
[signature]
thanks for the info reel mn!

sm
[signature]
That show what a impact the bait fishing had on Kolob last year.

Turn em in if you see em.
[signature]