Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make your own planer boards
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Now you can make your own planer boards and be the envy of all your fishing buddies. They can be made in two different sizes to suit your needs. Here is a picture of one half the set I made:
[/#800000][/font]
[Image: lp5gTdo.jpg]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The full set of plans are attached below and can be copied and printed out at your convenience. To be able to read the plans, copy the two attached pictures to your computer and THEN open them. If you just open them here, they are real fuzzy and hard to read.

The total cost for a set of two should be less than $40 not including your labor. If you have any questions that you can't answer from the plans, give me a shout. Enjoy.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]
[#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here are the plans:[/#800000][/font]
[Image: qowxvbp.jpg]
[Image: KLa7adB.jpg]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
hey, i like this idea. could you please tell me a little bit about how it's used and rigged to your fishing line. i have a small set of yellow birds that clip to your line. fishing line goes from your fishing pole to quick release clip on the board, then through a loop on the tail end of the board. fish hits, fishing line unclips and the board slides down the line to a board stop bead a few feet up from your lure. i like yellow birds, but they are a headache if board come uncliped because of choppy water. are your boards teathered to your boat with that line i see in the pic? how does your fishing line attach to the board? once fish is hooked, is your fishing line still attched to your board?
[signature]
I asked him for the plans because I want to run a rig where the boards have their own line and your release can slide down that line or be anchored to the boards. That way you can rig more than one rod on each outrigger. When a fish is hooked and the line is released you are only playing the fish, not the board. Basically the same as a downrigger.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
Quote:[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]are your boards teathered to your boat with that line i see in the pic?[/#000000][/font]

Yes they are. I clip them to a cleat with the carabineer just in front of the windshield on either side of the boat.

Quote:[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]how does your fishing line attach to the board?[/#000000][/font]

I use some home made clips that consist of a shower curtain hook, a small alligator clip, and some rubber tubing. Put a small length of tubing on each jaw of the alligator clip and then slip this onto the shower curtain hook. Then slip the shower curtain hook over the board line and put the fishing pole line beween the alligator clip jaws. As you let out fishing line, the shower curtain hook slides down the board line towards the board. Stop it anywhere you like. After a fish strikes the fishing line will pull free of the clip and the board continues to troll along side the boat as you fight the fish, and the fish only. I carry a dozen or so clips and just keep sliding them down the line to the boards. After all the clips are used, pull the board in and retrieve them and start all over. Simple!

Quote:[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]once fish is hooked, is your fishing line still attched to your board?[/#000000][/font]

No.

I'll take a picture of the clips and post tomorrow. [/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
You can buy planer board releases from cabelas. I like the Off-shore light tension ones. I have the Laurvicks also but they dont release as well. The higher you can get your planer board line, the better. Most guys have a mast around 6 feet high. This helps the releases slide down the line. I have used home made boards just like the ones in the pics. They work great. When using more than one line off your board you need to have the one closest to the board the farthest behind the boat. I set the one at the board usualy 150 feet and the next one at 120 feet.When a fish hits the outside lure, wait a minute for it to clear the insde line. Then instead of bringing the inside line in, just slide it down and set another one at 100 feet. You get the idea. Planer boards will usualy outfish a flatine behind the boat 2 to 1.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the post. Looks like I have to break out my table saw. Those boards will work perfect with my planer board tower. RF
[signature]
Thanks for the shop drawings.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here is what the clips look like. The top clip is the commercial one sold by Cabela's. The bottom clip is the one I built.

[Image: XcQv2AU.jpg][/#800000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here is a close-up of the alligator clip w/ tubing attached. Both were purchased at Checker Auto.

[Image: 9U5g8LI.jpg][/#800000][/font]
Enjoy. [/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[Image: fish-on.gif] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Just in case you were wondering how they track, here's a picture of one in action at Willard yesterday. We had two hits off the boards and boated one - a nice wiper. [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[Image: ndnZGEl.jpg]

[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Since the subject of planer boards recently came up on BFT, I thought it might be a good idea to pop this thread back up to the top. I'm sure there will be some newer members/lurkers that didn't even know this thread is here.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Also, I friend who made a set from my plans came up with an attachment idea that I liked better than the original, so I'm going to add that to this thread. Instead of the eye bolt called for on the original plans, we've replaced that with some chain that allows changing the connection point at will without having to use tools to move the eye bolt. Establish an optimal link to hook to, but as weather or tackle changes such that an adjustment is required, just move the connector to a different link in the chain.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here are a couple of pictures of the attached chain that shows placement and size. Enjoy.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][inline 20180323_094532.jpg][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][inline 20180323_094612.jpg][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Do you have any problem with the planer board line getting in the water?
I have been thinking of building a mast to hold the lines out of the water. The problem with this though is one more thing in the boat.
[signature]
I run the the line over my windshield and that holds the line up out of the water and its ease to put the release on the line and send it out.
[signature]
The first time I encountered using planner boards was on Lake Superior about 20yrs ago. Those folks in the upper mid west have been dialed into this style for years on these big lakes using tall masts to link to the boards. That is a whole different style of fishing which has some really great advantages when you have a couple of extra people wanting to put their lines in too, which it helps keeping lines out and away from boat. I've been considering this addition for a long while now.
[signature]
[quote PACMEN]Do you have any problem with the planer board line getting in the water?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]No, I do not. There will always be a small section of line in the water near the board, but that does not create any 'problems' that I'm aware of. They track and work as they were designed to do. I wouldn't be concerned with some of the line in the water. Line in the water will not (IMHO) keep the boards from working as intended.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote Bduck]The first time I encountered using planner boards was on Lake Superior about 20yrs ago.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I had to Smile at that. I'm actually a Michigander myself (born in Three Rivers, MI), and the attached plans came from a friend in Frankfort, MI who was a Lake Michigan Charter Boat Captain. I doubt you could find a charter boat anywhere on the Great Lakes that didn't have a planer board system installed.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I too have spent a lot years in the east but further south of you. Spent time fishing 3 southern states on the Mississippi & Tennessee Rivers as well as numerous lakes. Kentucky Lake holds good memories.
[signature]
There were questions about a mast to keep the planar board line up.

Mine connect to old, stiff 5' fishing rods with 40lb line. The rods sit in vertical pole holders near the captain and co-captain chairs on both sides of the boat.

The poles stick straight up in the holders.

They are also easy to manipulate if I need to bring the planar boards in quickly or adjust anything.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]And that is how I started using them - off old rods with Penn #9 reels. Not for everybody because of the price, but I went to the commercial mast system the second year after I built mine and much prefer it. But the old rod system will work just fine and are less expensive than the $300 plus for the commercial units. [Smile]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah