Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge July
Due the overwhelming demand for Gorge fishing (O.K. 1 guy asked) tips I'll post most of what I know. This will be a trolling only post that deals with big fish. Big defined; Macks 15#+, Bows 5#+ Kokes 2#+. WARNING: If you are taking an MOAI inhbitor, a flyfisherman, Bass fisherman or are currently under the influence of alcohol don't read this because it may induce a coma. Brevity was never my strong point. If you think this is overdone and technical try fishing with me sometime. Rip Van Winkle....my fault. Maybe someday us Gorge guys and gals might get our own thread...HINT....HINT.
We'll mix a little fact with theory. Facts will be marked by (F), theory by (T). This post will deal with Kokes, Macks and Bows, in mid-summer. Remember we are only concerned with big fish, (see above). To fish correctly (in my not so humble opinion) requires a two pole permit by everyone aboard, spend the 10 bucks.

(F) All fish have patterns they follow, in a lake they are easier to figure out since they don't have miles of open ocean to wander around in. In cold climates like ours their survival depends on summer. Summer fish eat, its what they do. They store energy for the winter. So, now we figure out what they eat, match the hatch (sorta speak) and we'll all will have a blast.

Bows: (F) Most big Bows I get lay just under the thermocline. About 17 - 23 ft dpending on lots of things but, this is where I'd start. (F,T) They are takin on plugs or big spoons that simulate bait fish feeding on plankton. I switch lures early and often and go with what works. (T) I think Bows like to feed on other Trout so I go with big stick baits in Bow colors, silver/blue and brown/gold and tiger stripe flor. green (near dawn and dusk, you'll have to trust me on this one). The smallest stick bait I'd troll is 4". Krokodiles, Little Cleos, Kastmasters, Phoebes and Al's Gold Fish work well too if you up-size. Big baits catch big fish. (F) If you fish too small you will kill the planters all day and never have the line in long enough to get a shot at the big dudes. I don't use meat or attractant for Bows, only because I never needed it. I also use Dave Davis 3 blade copper blades (3"), 18" in front of most everything I'm dragging. HINT- save the downriggers, use an in-line sinker or my favorite, Dipsy Diver. I like to go fast, 2.8 - 3.2 knots, some of the bigger baits won't react like I want at these speeds so you'll have to figure it out for youself depending on what you are using.

Kokes: I no longer troll for them since I can't catch 1 every ten seconds (F) but if you must, use a #2 needle fish in clown pattern or a Koke King (think pink) 30" behind a silver 3 blade Gang Troll. Wedding ring w/worm off the pipeline works too. Go, 30 - 60 feet deep depending on where you see them. BEWARE: Trolling for Kokes is not my strong suit and I only do it in conjuction with other things.

Macks: (T) This could drag on forever, so let me say this, I don't troll for big Macks but, many of the successfull dudes do. I have and caught some nice ones (F) (+30#) but, they are few and far between. Did I say big baits get big fish? Think K-15s in frog, rainbow, or blue/silver colors, ACs or big Raps all work. A must is to first replace (T) the treble hooks with singles, then bait wrap them. (T) All the really big ones hang out down deep. (T) Most people troll the flat because it doesn't cost them big coin in gear. (T) Macks relate to first food then structure (where the food is) they won't come up and suspend like the Great Lakes Macks do. (T) There is plenty of food down deep (carp minnows). Antelope flat, lots of boats, very few fish. If I was going to troll I'd go north of big bend along the west side of the big rock walls or south of the pipeline along the west side. Don't mean to dampen your spirits but, read the fish finder, figure out where they are, and guess what they eating. 4 inch tuna clone behind a ford fender is the best bait I've ever used.

Where to go: Bows; Sheep Creek Bay at dusk or dawn. Macs; Firehole, edge of the main channel just west of the pipeline, Lurcene Bay (you'll lose gear to fish it right) or the rock cliffs just north and west of big bend. Kokes, Horseshoe Canyon but not on weekends. Hope this helps.
IFG
Hey IceFishingGod,
Thanks for the great post. It sounds like I might need to make my first fishing trip out to the gorge this summer. [Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
Thanks IFG for the valuable information. I'm determined to get some good use out of my recently-purchased Flaming Gorge twelve-month pass.
[signature]
Thanks for the post! Great information. Just what I was looking for.

One question: Which of the three species do I have the greatest chance for the most big fish during early July?
[signature]
Great Post!!! looking forward to the Gorge this year Smile
[signature]
I had to put in my .02 on this one seeing how my boat spends its time during the week in Lucerne dry storage and on the water every Friday Sat and Sunday from mid June to mid November. It is too easy to leave the boat, coleman trailer and all the gear at the Gorge and hop in the truck with a couple pairs of shorts and a cooler of food on Friday and run up. In any case, IFG makes some good points that I would like to add on to. First, you cant beat the smallmouth fishing during June. Plastics and light tackle gear are hoot for numerous smallmouth. Go uplake for larger fish. Stay in Utah for numbers. Second, the kokonee run shallow in June and as the summer progresses, they will go deeper and deeper. In June you can catch kokes using lead line and silver pop gear with the needlefish. Kokes in June are found at about 30 feet of water, open water. In July and August, kokes will start bunching up in deeper water. Get out the downriggers but dont drag pop gear around, use dodgers instead. Trail dodgers 50-75 feet behind the boat. Each week during the summer you will need to go 5 feet deeper. By the end of August and into September, kokes will be schooled uo from 60-70 feet in open water. Another hint: where you find kokes, you will also find Mac. Run cranks right underneath where the kokes are and you will be sure to limit on great tasting 2-5lb macs. Imitate the kokes using white or pink. Flatfish and APEX lures work well too. An option for both is to run the cranks and then stack a needlefish 15 feet above it for kokes. Catch a koke, turn around and work that school again. Again go to Utah for small fish and go to Wyoming for the larger fish. Pipeline is fine during the week but too crowded on the weekends. I like running up to Squaw Hollow, Ranchhouse and even as far as Big Bend. Now for the money fish. Macs are scattered thoughout the lake during the summer but start migrating towards Antelope flats in late summer and into Linwood during the early fall. There are spots that hold fish all year but you would need GPS or a dang good memory to find them. I fish smallmouth in June, Kokes til the weekend after Labor Day and Macs in Linwood till its time to come home. I am not the most skilled at a vertical jig presentation and have always liked trolling deep for my macs. This created a lot of hang ups at first as Linowood is filled with gravel mounds that just love big rapallas and flatfish. It took a while to figure out the mounds and how was best to work your bait into the gullys where the big ones lay. I do best working the hillside that runs east to west and working where shallow water (85 feet) falls to deeper water (120 feet). I cant give all the secrets away but will give this up, stink. You have to get your stinky bait just as close to the fish as possbile. I have caught suspended fish, fish on the bottom and fish close to the top and can only say that a reaction bite is more likly than the fish being hungry. Starts getting cold in October but water temps usually dont start falling until late October. One thing I could never figure out is Labor Day weekend? Everyone pulls their boat out of the water, loads up and goes home? Fall at the Gorge is by far the best season. Nice water temps, sunny warm days with only a hint of a breeze and cool nights and no one is there! Back to the Macs. I run a large jointed rapalla on one side and a large double jointed qwikfish on the other. Lots of patience. I trail both at different depths and lengths from the boat. Early in the Mac season I run the lures pretty tight to downriggers in response to everyone else in the bay. Later in the season I run the lures further and further behind the boat. So what are the results: Too many 5 lb kokes to count, a Big Fish picture book full of macs, some while I am in shorts with no shirt and others with full on winter gear and a foot of snow on the bow of the boat and also a ton of great memories. Gorge is my top pick. Besides that, you get to drive through Evanston and get the good beer.
[signature]
IFG, What would be your ideal tackle set-up (Rod, Reel, Line) for jigging at the Gorge?

Many Thanks!
Great post! Keep it up.
[signature]
Also, what kind of line and # test to run off the downriggers for Mac's and Kokes?
[signature]
I couldn't use a baitcaster to save my life. I had one once, its now at the bottom of East Canyon, in case anyone wants it. I use 2 step-ups. First a Diawa 47LC mated to a medium action rod, get a rod with lots of backbone but a sensitive tip. Mines a custom Great Lakes special I bought from Poor Richards Tackle and Bait Rt 5, Fairview Pa. (a plug for you Dick in case you read this, better give me a discount next time I'm home). It has a bunch of back bone in the lower end and a super sensitive tip.

My others both have Penn 760Zs one has a heavy action 7' rod and the other is a meadium/heavy action 6' rod. Everything is spooled with 20# mono with a 25# flurocarbon leader. I am going to respool one before I go up this summer with a superbraid of some kind. I like BLMs Bear lake setup and will try it at the Gorge. I use 20# because with 12# it was taking to long to get the big ones in. I was worried I was tiring them out to much and lowering their chance of survival. I like using the Diawa because of the line counter, it helps if the fish are suspened just off the bottom.