Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone river and Henry's lake
I will be spending some time over the weekend of the 26th of July at Henry's lake and also taking a day to fly fish yellowstone river. It will be my first time. I am from Utah so I don't know what kind of flies are good for the yellowstone or what works on Henry's lake. I have done some research on the internet but would also like to get some input from you locals or at least those that have fished the area before. This trip has been a long time in the making and I don't have but a couple of days so I want to be prepared when I get there. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, any specific areas of either spot that are better than others would be much appreciated. Does anyone know anything about any rivers coming in or going out of Henry's lake that would be good to hit?
Thanks all
[signature]
Henry's Lake in late July can be a bit challenging because of all the weed growth (the lake is quite shallow). I would recommend getting a map of the springs and targeting those areas. Bill Scheiss has a great book on fishing Henry's Lake that you may want to pick up. It has very specific information. Leeches and scuds are the standard fare, but take along different sizes and colors as it can sometimes make a big difference.

If you don't mind getting a Montana license, Hebgen Lake gulper action should be in full swing with the Callibaetis and you may do better there than at Henry's.

The Yellowstone is a large river. What section are you planning to fish? Are you planning to fish it in the Park? If so, I would probably concentrate on the Black or Grand Canyon sections. This year, the Grand canyon may still have some big stoneflies hanging around the last week of July. Over the last several years, the cutthroat population in the river below the lake has really taken a nosedive, but you could still go give it a shot. There are some large cuts there, just not as many as there once were.

If you are going to fish the park, I would also recommend checking out the Lamar River system (Slough, Soda Butte, Cache). These rivers should clear about a week or two before you arrive and the fish should be in good shape. Where to fish depends on how far you want to hike. For roadside access, Soda Butte and the Lamar are about as good as it gets. Unfortunately, the word is out and you are not likely to have the place to yourself. I have had great success with terrestrials (check in at one of the W. Yellowstone fly shops and they can help). Twisted Beauties worked very well last summer.
[signature]
[#0000bf]I agree with MI Steelheader. Once it's full on summer at Henry's it's not pleasant. Hebgen, however is much cooler and has great Brown fishing. But, if you stay wih the Henry's idea, call or got to the website for Wildrose Ranch on the North shore. They can fill you in on what's good right now. I think you're best bet is Staley's Springs on the NW corner or around the fish hatchery also on the North side. Good luck wherever you end up. It's all good![/#0000bf]
[signature]
I got a call from B.S. Flies and Henry's is going strong right NOW! The thing is, a whole new bunch of fly patterns. I say stop in the B,S,Shop on your way up to Henry's. That crew knows that lake like nobodies business.
[signature]
Henrys Lake continues to fish very very well around Targhee and Duck Creeks. Early morning fishing at Targhee is producing some very large brook trout as well as some large hybrids and cutts.

Utah's Channel 2 tv station had an excellent program on Henrys Lake a couple of weeks ago with footage of a large hybrid being caught at Duck Creek..
[signature]
I saw that but, Lynn Scott made me[laugh]
I have caught a 21" Brookie out of there. At first I couldn't see the colors to see WHAT it was and I remember thinking, "not a bad trout, but kinda small for here" Then realized it was a Brook...NICE!
I will never top my Hybrid catch, so it is just have fun now.
[signature]
Don't count another big hybrid out. Last week two over 30 inches were caught. One that went to the taxidermist was 13 1/2 pounds. Largest brook trout reported has been just over 23 inches with several over 22.
[signature]
Oh I agree. I have caught a few over 30". Started thinking that is what to expect there, that is why I go.
But, I FREAKED when I had the 35". NO I didn't keep it. For one thing, I hoped someone else might catch it, two, I was on a 5 day camping trip, where do I keep it, three I prefer the FIBERGLASS molds, four, I don't have a wall for a 35" fish (maybe a coffee table[Wink]) and five, he flew out of my hands LOL
I also realize that it was PROBABLY her last year, so it wouldn't have mattered if I had kept her, which leads back to #5.

BIG FISH ROCK!
[signature]
Buddies did very well on the 19th and 20th just fishing green crystal buggers.
[signature]
I am betting that fly cause of the DAMSEL NYMPHS and maybe the snells.
[signature]
Are you fishing with those snells again? I thought I saw you out there looking like you were fishing with a fly rod but you had on a spinner , blade, 4 red beads and a snelled hook with a night crawler on it. I knew you were cheating. Especially when I saw that beer can and there was worm dirt on the side. That's a dead give away- You have to remember to crush those cans. [laugh]
[signature]
DANG IT! You saw that!?
I guess it's back to the Pringles can for you...worms.
[Image: pringles.jpg]
[signature]