Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All about Boo
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Just finished watching another Netflix movie entitled [/size][/#008000][/font][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]"Trout Grass". Not exciting but very interesting & educational. The show starts out in a particular region in China where the harvest bamboo for fly rods and other industries. Did you know that out of the 1200 varities of bamboo only one type is suitable for making fly rods? Also Hoagie Carmichael Jr son of the late song writer & singer [he wrote and song Stardust] has been building bamboo fly rods for 40 years. Well I enjoyed the film and perhaps you might do so too. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I did not know that only 1 out of 1200 varieties was used for cane poles.. but I knew it was very selective process.. a while back I posted about an outdoor channel special where a group of three guys had a small shop where they made.. and tested.. and sold their cane fly rods.. I dont remember the name of the company.. but I do remember it was a very long.. sometimes tedious process.. and a minor mistake can become a huge flaw in the final product..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Let me guess "TONKIN"
I do Smile when people say they will only buy American Bamboo, when it ALL comes from china. But I would rather have one MADE buy skilled craftsmen instead of an assembly line of people that don't even know what it is.
[signature]
I honestly dont remember.. I know it was on the outdoor channel and it was briefly discussed a couple of times on this board..

.. like most things that are mass produced.. the quality is not there since the ones doing the assembly usually dont have a vested interest in the final product..

.. what concerns me most is that in a lot of different sports the expert craftsmen of old are few and far between.. seems it is easier and more efficient these days to let a computer do the work for you..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]