Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snake River Sturgeon
Hi folks, I've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks and have not had much time for the boards (sorry about that). <br>We have had quite a run of sturgeon trips recently and if you like sturgeon fishing my advice is <i>GET AFTER IT</i>. Fish the Snake from Hells Canyon Dam to Lewiston for some of the best fishing we have seen in some time, the sturgeon primarily kegged up in the deeper holes and pockets but don't overlook the smaller water off of the beaches and bars. Our best day recently was 20 fish to the boat plus several lost fish followed by a 14 fish day-"thats a lot a fish Uncle Ed"! The most popular bait on the Snake is parts of freshly caught game fish(trout or bass heads and entrails etc.), fished on a 6 to 8/0 hook,a 30 to 36 in. leader and a sliding weight on the main line. Drop the rig (or cast from boat or bank) into the deepest part of the hole, prop the rod up and wait for the bite-when the fish picks up handle the rod carefully or leave it propped and strike from the holder when the fish takes it down. These fish are very sensitive and you will knock them off of the bait if you are jerking the rod around while the fish is on the bait....<b>Oh Yea..The Bait</b>, I mentioned the most popular bait on the river-I didn't say it catches fish!! I hardly use the stuff anymore (wastes a lot of time). The best bait I have found is.....No, I ain't gonna do it!, somebody may be listening. Tell you what-post your question here (and maybe a fishing report), include your email address and I'll let you in on some inside info, or you can try trout heads if you prefer!<br>Either way, get to fishin!<br>Pat Long<br><br>
Hi, I am a fisherman living in Utah. I lived in Washington for awhile, many moons ago, and tried unsuccessfully for sturgeon once or twice while I lived there. Considering how light my tackle was, perhaps it was fortunate that I didn't hook one. I would like to connect up with someone from Idaho that could give me some tips and perhaps could join me on a trip to catch a sturgeon or two. Please email me at Kjasperson@sisna.com.<br><br>Kent<br><br>
Hi Kent, thanks for your participation on the Big Fish Boards and the interest in one of the most exciting fisheries anywhere. Some general info that might be of use to you (and others)-our sturgeon fishing is just getting underway as the water temps start to climb, best period is still a month or so away. A good source for local information is "Waters Edge Bait and Tackle" in Clarkston (1-509-758-2474), most of the local fisherman are in and out of the shop on a regular basis and leave a lot of good info-check them out if you come up our way-you might even find someone looking for a fishing partner for a day or two.<br>Check your email, I will send some additional info direct to you<br>Good Luck<br>Pat Long<br><br>
I use night crawlers for bait. using a slip sinker on the bottom of the lake or river.
[signature]