Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 5/14
Went up to the berry today for some trout fishing. First couple of hours we fished around chicken creek .The only fish we got was a 24 inch cutthroat that my buddy caught. After wasting a couple hours in that area we decided to move. We headed to the shore line area across the inlet bay and started catching fish right away. We ended up catching another 15 fish before we left at 7:30pm. All fish we caught were cutts with the exception of one chubby rainbow. All of the cutthroat we caught were very thick and healthy looking. With the new regulations they can only improve. We released all the fish. Out of all the fish we got 3 were over the slot and the rest fell in the must release slot. Alot more cutts will hopefully be caught and released to get bigger. Only if everyone follows new regulations. All fish were caught wind drifting black wolly buggers from a boat in 25 to 18 feet of water. We had quite a few hits on tube jigs but could not get a good hookset. I think the tubes we were using were to big 3 inch.
[signature]
Great report ssabshif. Are the docks in yet?
[signature]
Yes the boat docks are in. The inlet bay is the bay that the strawberry river comes into the lake.
[signature]
Great report. Were you drifting the buggers with fly rods or just weightless on spin rods? We have done good doing the same in the past with both fly rods and spin rods with a small spit shot or just slow sink line on the fly rod. Gotta get up there before the water turns over if it isn't too late.
[signature]
We were using fly rods with #3 sinking line. Just casting the line out then stripping all the line out to the backing and drifting with the wind, and an electric motor to keep are course steady. The fly was around 20 to 17 feet deep.
[signature]
GOOD REPORT. WE HAVE DONE REAL WELL THIS TIME OF YEAR WITH UNIFORM SINK LINE TYPE THREE AND SLOW TROLLING FROM OUR TOONS. MY FLY OF CHOICE FOR MAY IS CALLED THE STREET WALKER.
(PHEASANT RUMP TAIL, MEDIUM RED TINSEL CHENILLE WRAPPED UNIFORMLY WITH A GRIZZLY HACKLE. #8 TIEMCO 3761. GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD DAY ON THE POND!
TODD (TIMBERCREEK)
[signature]
Good report. Hopefully alot of people will follow the new reg.s. I have heard that fish and game aren't really up there to inforce it though.
[signature]
Great to hear you caught some fish,I troll the inlet bay most of the time when I'm up there,I usally troll back North to south accross the bay in 16-18ft of water,alot of people just fish the channel on the south side.everyone knows about it there are usally 50 boats bait fishing.

I will let the new regs kick in for a few years and then make an effort to go back up there,It was nothing to catch 20 to 26inch cutts out of there 5yrs ago,but has not impressed me at all in the last 2yrs.

and 3" jigs are to big,go with 1/16oz. black tubes and you will hook up all day.drift them accross the shallow bays its great.depth I like is 12-18ft of water when drifting them.

TIGHT LINES

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Nice report . Glad to see some fish being caught . I like using the big jigs (3") in june after the spawn . Tight lines
[signature]
Great report, glad you guys hooked into some fish. I'm excited to see if the new regs improve the fishing. They are needed, I just think they were a few years too late. Those pesky little chubs have the upper hand right now.
[signature]
I was check the last time up there . It has been 13 years since I've been checked . I think they are patrolling alot more now . In fact they ask me if I was checked during this winter ice fishing the Berry and were surprised I told them I was not checked .
[signature]