Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Gold
Went out and chased some red gold and had a blast! It took a LONG time to find where they were but when we did it was game on. These fish were pretty large kokanee. And one was a GIANT, sockeye size! Had to use slow sinking lines or sink tips to get down to them, floating lines just wouldn't cut it. Stripping big ugly leeches Pretty slow.

I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't tried it. These fish fight harder then any I have caught in a while. Solid muscle.
[signature]
If you dont mind me asking where did you catch these? It sure looks like a ton of fun. Oh and it looks like you were on the bank is that the case>
[signature]
What do you think you're better than me becuase you're kokanee are bigger than mine?[laugh][laugh][laugh] (I just caught some on Saturday too.)
JK Congrats! Those are awesome fish. I agree about the fighting hard. They are blast.
[signature]
How long and/or heavy was that big one?
[signature]
I saw your report those are awesome fish! It sounds like you had better action then I did though. It was pretty tough fishing. They are sweet though and I sure wish that they were around longer then they are.

I have no idea how long it was. It totally filled out the bottom of my net which I measured at 25" It was a freak fish though. MUCH larger then anything else we saw in there that day.

Were the kokanee in big elk fresh or did it look like they had been in there a while. The ones where I was at were super fresh fish.
[signature]
Sure thing. Its hard to tell where because they are constantly moving you know? I would start at Macks inn and work your way upstream.

The fish I was fishing for could be gone any day though. They are on their way up to Moose creek and once they get there I'm afraid the only type of fishing you can do is with a camera, Moose creek closes August 15.

And yes we were on the bank for the most part, but getting to that area required a lot of walking and waders.

I have heard that Ririe has hundreds of them right next to the boat ramp. They may be a little more accessible.

Have fun either way!
[signature]
For the most part they were really fresh, I caught a couple with white patches, but the majority were beautiful and strong. The coolest part was the numbers of fish, I could literally get to a hole and start picking off the fish at the back and work my way forward!
Congrats again on that horse of a Koke!
[signature]
Hey Everet,
Did you know that the state record was only 24.5 in. and just over 6.5 lbs? It's hard to tell how much your fish weighed from a pic, but I'd say you were pretty close!?
[signature]
I have to warn you guys, Everet is like SEVEN FEET TALL![laugh]
Well, maybe not that much but he is a stretch, so looking at the water line on his waders, most COULD drown![Wink]
[signature]
Yes I saw that and it made me wonder. I wish Idaho had catch and release records. Its only a matter of time I think before a lot of state records start coming over to this side of the state.
[signature]
I wish I was seven feet tall, then I would be playing basketball somewhere[laugh]

I am gonna try those tadpoles you gave me on some kokanee this weekend. With the diving down motion that might work really well. Those flies are awesome!
[signature]
Everet, There is a road to the water below Moose Creek where they launch rafts and boats. The roads are so confusing I can't tell you exactly where it is. You also can drive a ways up on the other side of the river.
[signature]
I know the roads you are talking about, however this place had no roads by it. I was hoping it would, but it was fun to get off the beaten path.
[signature]