Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ones that got away stories ??
Ok , I have to admit that I was a sailor growing up to tell my story. This is the world famous Cal-40, and before you judge it, we had dozens of deep sea rods and reels onboard, downriggers, outriggers, nets, gaffs, spears and spearguns, practically an onboard dive shop complete with compressor etc. a depth sounder dad somehow married to some sort of medical device screen as an early fishfinder. much much more, should have sank at the dock. Check this out, we successfully caught flying fish by shining a big light on the mainsail and they would fly right into it at night. Anyhow ya get the picture, we very seriously fished from her and campaigned it racing all over the world, I personally sailed on it over 50,000 miles from '73 to '79, seems like another lifetime.

Was the 1975 Newport to Ensenada race I remember as '75 and '79 were big weather years. The Cal-40 wieghs 21,600 lbs empty and was considered to be an unsafe, grossly over sailpowered vessel when introduced in the early 60's. We never won a single race lol, had way too much stuff onboard and always trolling. Dad was kinda a nut and had a large cut of beef on what should be in the Guinness Book for treble hooks, It was a tossing hook he took the grinder to, I would estimate 8" across (Mustad had nothing on Dad). This was out on 500 feet of 3/8 braided nylon / stainless wire core, with several of those black trucker bungies tied in so as to absorb shock. We were doing around 13 knots under more than full sail, which, powerboaters, is really smoking along on one of those babies and the actual power and momentum involved I couldn't guess how to relate, trust me, it's serious. Next thing is Mr. Hite tapping on the Signet D.A.D. (pretty tech averaging knotmeter of the time) and I'm noticing the spinnaker isn't luffing proper. Hmmm apparent wind speed and direction are real steady, and were now doing only around 11.75 knots.
Now 11, now 10.25, What the... ??? we're all leaning over the rails to see if we picked up a batch of kelp or something ??? now 9 knots, 8.5, at this point my dad even comes up, super rare during his noon Coors nap because the boat is now shuttering , 8 knots, 7.5, 7 , at 6 knots it becomes apparent as the entire boat is being jerked down at the stern to the point where everyones on all fours and grabbing rails. My dad managed to get below and come up with a machete and just as I was reminding him it was steel core, whatever was down there finally snapped the line and the boat just launched. We had seen a couple of Orcas earlier or figured a Large White.[inline "Conser Cal 40 shot cropped.jpg"]
[signature]
now that is a very Jaws like story.. LOL>...

too bad you never found out for sure what had gotten hooked...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I've seen some stuff in that green pond growing up I wont tell anyone about [shocked] That's why I live on top of a mountain now LOL. I actually put on a seal suit and swam in that mix ????
the heck was I thinking ??? I was CHUM !!!!! My reality check must have bounced.

Was at the Isthmus, Catalina Island when they brought in the Great White that ended up on display frozen at Sea World in San Diego. Matter of record, 3200 lbs., Big Fish. Eerily similar to Jaws, harpooned it off the West End ( My Dive Spot !!!!!!! ) and it took down 6 fat buoys for 3 days, found it out by the 60 mile banks out there, that's a good 35 miles. Then they spent the next full day getting it into the cockpit of this 70 or so foot s'fisher so it wouldn't end up like Santiago's Marlin.

From that day on, never so much as stuck my little toe in the ocean, never even quite felt comfortable on a boat out there anymore, just all kinda hit home I guess.

City folks that know how I live ask me : "Aren't you afraid of bears and things up there?" ...... Uh..(chuckle)....No
[signature]
[#005000]Id say that story pretty much convinces me that it was probably a great white.. but must of been a huge one.. [/#005000]
[#005000][/#005000]
[#005000]MacFly [cool][/#005000]
[signature]
Yeah, just from watching the TV Discovery shows and stuff, seems like that is the only fish that would have the strength and aggression, we were feeling pretty small for those moments and I believe that is the only time I have ever seen my dad look worried about anything and we've been stuck out in perfect storms, taking on water, and stuff like that .

No, I have to correct myself, on the '77 Transpac to Honolulu, he had stowed most of the beer supply for all the guys on top of the fuel tank in the bilge, and when we needed it, still 6 or 7 days out, he popped the cover to get it and all the cans had the bottoms eaten by electrolysis and six big nutty guys' beer was in the bilge.

He sorta had that look
[signature]
[#008000]what a waste of good beer.. LOL.. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]MacFly [cool][/#008000]
[signature]
It was very serious, Richard, "The Animal" I'd say 6'6", 280 and really not quite all there, was the first to ask for a beer and he's one of those that "Needs" it. He freaked when he found out. Dad got on the sideband and we were able to hook up with another boat and get a couple of cases and some rum by nightfall.
[signature]
at least your dad was able to keep everyone happy.. plus the added bonus of the rum must of soothed some frayed nerves..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You know, that's one thing about the sea, at least I can speak for back then, if someone was in need of no matter what, or of course in trouble, nobody ever gave it a thought, you just dropped everything came immediately, it was the code. Dang, I'm finding myself kinda missing it, really is another world out there, but I'm good up here, nothing is going to eat me I can't see coming and my butt doesn't itch all the time anymore [laugh]
[signature]
I always love fishing Catalina. That is one of the few places that I won't take my float tube. You know why!

I fish Makos out of there and have seen some nice Whites in the area. I feel safer fishing for Threshers in my float tube. At least they don't attack.[cool]
[signature]
What fond memories, the Channel Islands sure are a special treat in a world that's gone so developed. Had my first quite brief and immediately unsuccessful marriage in 2001, last time down there. So took the Cal-40 out to the islands for honeymoon, (sour-grapesmoon lol).

After leaving the mainland, which has changed so much I don't even recognize entire towns, the Islands are unchanged, a California in a time capsule. Beautiful man,

Funny, Dad's got his Whaler moored in Emerald, so I get her in it and took her out to the West End. It's got this decided miss in it, needed a good tune, but took it anyways, has an SSB. Anyhow, went about 2 miles off the West End and shut it off. Really pretty morning, just rolling glass, and I start telling her how there is absolutely nothing else out there but Hawaii, etc. She asks about sharks so I told her my personal stuff and how right where we were sitting is the home turf of the Great White. "Scott, are we safe in this boat??", well.... not necessarily lol I explain how they have attacked smaller stuff and the surfboards they use off the Farralons etc to study attacks bla bla....., she's all absorbed with this little Smile and I'm the one that's uh, we better go now LMAO.

Ever fish those lunkers off the East end??. my bass buddies up here thinks I'm funnen with them when I tell 'em about 500 lb. Black Sea Bass lol
[signature]
ya got any pictures to back up the 500 lb black sea bass fishing story.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Geez John, ya caught me at one.............not[inline "sea bass.jpeg"]
pic is at Avalon
[signature]
Apologies, search reveals that pic. is worlds record 1900

Fish in pic weighed in at 384 pounds

Anyone got a fairly large frying pan ??
[signature]
Working on re-establishing my credibility on this one !!!

1901 Avalon this guy weighed in at 425, I'll get there, I'll try anyhow lol.[inline 1901seabass.jpg]
[signature]
OK whew, here's a link to a Pfleger Institute of Enviromental Research (Highly Credible) Sorry no pic in this one, alluding to a :

FIVE HUNDRED, SIXTY THREE POUND , EIGHT OZ. er

Landed of Anacapa, (Channel Island North of Catalina off Oxnard. Kick butt fishing by the way !!!)

So I should be good with you guys now ??? LOL [Image: bobwink.gif]

http://www.pier.org/CA_coastal_gs_bass_b...cal2.shtml
[signature]
your getting there.. just remember the difference between a fairy tale and a sea/fishign story.. plus.. as they say.. a picture is worth a thousand words.... LOL>....

but I will say that is a very interesting article...

MacFly
[signature]