Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another guy going to Henrys need help with flies
I have looked through some of the threads and noticed the flies that some have been using. I was wondering if someone would kindly post pics or just names of the flies that people are catching fish on right now. Oh and any advice woujld be great also. I am going Thursday so I have to get my flies all tied up tonight and tomarrow night. Thanks in advance Dustin
[signature]
Stop in at BS flies on your way up and I can hook you up with what is working. Fishing is awesome up here.
[signature]
Ill try to stop in there. I am going with a guy that used to guide for you all. His name is Chris. He said that he could hook me up as well. If I dont get to stop in there before I go fishing then I for sure will stop by and get some flies afterwords for the future trip. Thanks I hope fishing still stays good.
[signature]
Ya I know chris. He probably doesn't know me but you will be fine then.
[signature]
Flies change from year to year and everyone is trying to gain an edge with slight changes but in reality the depth, presentation, and type of line are usually more important.

I would stop in at Ponds but I would also go to your local fly shop and buy Bill Schiess' book on fishing Henry's lake it has a section on flies with color pictures. I do not get a commission for Bill's book, but it has really helped me understand the basics about Henry's Lake and the flies used there.

Windriver
[signature]
Take Windrivers advice. If your going to seriously fish henrys, you need "the book."
[signature]
[left]Hey guys yet again I am pleasently surprised on the advice that you all give. I didnt even know the book existed. I know there are afew on Henrys but now that I know who you guys recommend I for sure will go and get it. I hope to make it to BS and maybe back to Ponds. I havent been to either for a very long time. Wish us luck and thanks for the book advice. Dustin
[signature]
Good luck, I am not gonna be at the shop thursday but if you write me what you need I can mail it to you, or even take it to your house.
[signature]
I have said that a thousand times....the BOOK is a must.
This year was different however. Strange choices of flies were working, according to Lynn Scott. I met a gent up there that was kicking bum on CHROME CHIRONOMIDS.
All I can say, is when I hit Henry's I pull out the flies that produce, year after year. But I always make it a point to introduce a new fly. This year was TADPOLES!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]All I can say, is when I hit Henry's I pull out the flies that produce, year after year. But I always make it a point to introduce a new fly. This year was TADPOLES![/quote]

Was Ol' Mr. Barnslow up there? lol couldn't resist:

[#000000]I can still recall old Mister Barnslow getting out every morning and nailing a fresh load of tadpoles to that old board of his. Then he'd spin it round and round, like a wheel of fortune, and no matter where it stopped he'd yell out, "Tadpoles! Tadpoles is a winner!" We all thought he was crazy. But then we had some growing up to do. [/#000000]
[#000000]-Jack Handey[/#000000]
[signature]
[laugh][laugh][laugh]That's my favorite Jack Handy quote![laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
What can I say...he is right! TADPOLES! But in my case I think it is the construction of the Tadpole Fly. It is like a boobie fly. Instead of diving when stripped like most nymphs or buggers, Tadpoles float back up.

[Image: Tadpole1.jpg]
[signature]
after fishing there for the first time I am going to make it a more frequent occasion. So with this being said Flygoddess is there any way that you could post the recipe (think thats how it is spelled.) please? I also bought that book that you suggested and now I am about half way through it. Thanks again
[signature]
So how was the fishing? And the weather?
[signature]
Fishing on Thursday was a bit slow from what I understand. It was overcast and a little windy with some snow fluries here and there. But we got 3 nice fish in the boat and well it was alot of fun. I just got done tying a bunch of flies that Bill Schiess recommends and they are the ones in the book. SO next time I will have a few more varieties. We caught the fish on prince nymphs of different colors (as the dropper) with a leach pattern.
[signature]