Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads up to a virus
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: bobmad.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]The other day I was surfing the web looking for deals that might be of interest to BFS. Unfortunately I got bit by an Adware, spyware [or whatever] virus. It took over my home page, changed my tool bar and constantly gave Alerts that I might be infected by this or that bug. Duh they were the bug. As these alerts appeared one was advised to click onto their site and download an anti-virus program. Naturally for a fee. I hunted on-line for a solution of which none of them worked. It wasn’t something that I could normally delete, so I explored my Registry. Nada. Contacted my IP and was advise that for $69 they could help me get rid of this infection. Yea what a bandaid & iodine? So back to the internet where I finally found a great free program called SUPERAntiSpyware. Worked like a charm. No more nasty alerts and I have my home page back without “[#ff0000]Security Toolbar 7.1”[/#ff0000] cluttering up my tool bar. [Image: happy.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[signature]
I had a similar experience not long ago.. basically clicking thru sites and got a notice of a problem that looked to be coming from my spyware software.. not paying attention I clicked a cancel when I should of cliked a yes (they do it backwards to mess with you.. you would think cancel means cancel download.. reality is it means cancel the cancel download command..by the time you realize it. its downloaded..

like DR I tried to for days to get rid of this thing.. unlike DR I could not find a freeware to get rid of it.. sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 75.00 later I took it into a local puter shop and he used like 5 different programs to get rid of that adware bug.. and its cousins that it had downloaded on its own.. sooooooooooooooo

keep the firewall up..

get a good antivirus/spyware loaded and updated on your computer.. and it does not hurt to use freeware such as that found by DR just to make sure all them liitle bugs run away screaming RAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Best out there is in fact free, follow the link and check out the free for home use. I learned of this company when I was working around Redmond for several programmers and this is all they use. Same AV cost a couple of grand per year for pro use.

http://avast.com/

Never, ever had a problem (encountered a bunch of viruses that were pre-handled by Avast, never infected) Been using since around '98. It's all you need for AV and I run adaware pro for adware/spyware ..... covered

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
Google... Malwarebytes...

This is the only thing I know that will remove this virus. The only other option is to rebuild your system.

BTW... I'm a Network Consultant and have delt with this repeatedly.

[#ff0000]Thanks for the advice, however no links of any kind are permiited before a member has 15 posts. Kindly refer to [/#ff0000][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=faq"][i][b][#ff0000]FAQ[/#ff0000][/url][#ff0000] for further clarification.
[/#ff0000][/b][/i]
[signature]

sorry...