Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RED CREEK RESERVOIR - PARAGONAH - Sunday May 18th (report)
got to red creek res. near paragonah about 6 am, right before sunrise . .

[Image: red1.jpg]

air temp 35 degrees, barely any wind, although it picked up all day . .didnt catch anything first hour near the spawining channel, then hedgesd showed up (an hour and a half late - he slept in!) I was using a new 8 foot lt-ultralt spinning rod for chucking spinning bubble and flies - brown wooly bugger w/flash and nymph . . we walked up to see how many trout were in the channel, i thought it was a bunch as hedgesd pointed 'em all out to me, he said he's seen alot more in previous yrs, although he hasnt been there in a couple weeks i think . . we mighta missed the huge spawning run . . i missed one that hit 4 feet from shore after a long cast - hedgesd made a comment about my technique, i cursed, and we fished on - he had his fly rod going with a fly of his own design . . i caught a nice 16-17 inch rainbow with color - he hit the nymph! Great fish, nice to break in the rod . . . didnt have much luck the next 2 hrs as it warmed up to about 55 degrees . .we went to the other end of the lake near the dam switched to worm and powerbait and started getting 'em every 5 minutes or so . . well hedgesd got one every 30 seconds after each cast, mine took 10-15 minutes between each . . HE HIT THE HONEY HOLE! hahaha

[Image: red2.jpg]

this fish hit both the worm and the powerbait - one then the other -BOTH HOOKS IN HIS JAW - HE WAS HUNGRY!

HERES SOME VIDEO OF HEDGESD LANDING A COUPLE DECENT FISH .

[url "http://mancuso.biz/red1.rm"]http://mancuso.biz/red1.rm[/url] - modems

[url "http://mancuso.biz/red2.rm"]http://mancuso.biz/red2.rm[/url] - modems

[url "http://mancuso.biz/red.ram"]http://mancuso.biz/red.ram[/url] - cable and dsl

we ended up with 25-30 fish by 12:30pm when i left . . me 10 or so and hedgesd 15-20 - all 10-15 inches, except the before mentioned one i got first thing . .and a nice 17 incher hedgesd caught near the dam . .

[Image: red3.jpg]

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

[Image: red4.jpg]

not many people there - probably 15 pairs of bank fisherman and one boat!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
Great looking fish and nice report SM[Smile]
[signature]
thanks bro . .

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
Ya I slept in and showed up around 7:30. I was suprised that their wasn't more people already their. A couple was already fishing my favorite spot so we settled in and tried a different spot. I didn't have the heart to fly fish so I took it easy and threw bait. Over all once we moved it was good fishing. I had a new pack of 25 trebles and by the time we left I didn't have any so 25 fish have a treble deep in their guts or if I couldn't get the hook out easy it was cut. I forgot my pliers.
[signature]
Hey Southernman and [size 1]hedgesd. You guys got some great looking fish. Can't wait till next week. I hope the fishing is just as good. [/size]
[signature]
Hey, Southernman, how do you like using the bubblechucker?

TubeDude
[signature]
it was awesome, i think its a good balance, not too light . . .and i can cast a mile! very sensitive . . i could feel every rock and stick, and hit!

sm
[signature]
I casted it a couple of times and it was a little tricky getting used to. It didn't take much to cast a mile. Nice pole I bet it's fun caching fish with it.
[signature]
do they make a smaller spinning bubble that the one I was using? I dont need quite as much weight to cast now . .

sm
[signature]
real pretty looking like. ill have to hit that sometime in the future.
[signature]
thanks man, its beautiful there, lots of primitive camping . .

sm
[signature]
[cool]It does take some adjustment in both your timing (on the cast), and the balance of the size of the casting weight for the fishing you will be doing. If you need to cast long distances, then use a larger bubble and fill it full of water. If you don't need to cast as far, or if you are fishing the surface, use a smaller bubble and/or do not completely fill the bubble.

A trick I picked up somewhere in the past...for getting the bubble deeper, faster...is to add a few lead shot (shotgun shell) to the bubble before filling it the rest of the way with water. It's surprising how much faster the bubble sinks...and a bit of rattle sometimes helps as an attractor. I use this method sometimes when chucking a piece of worm on a long leader. Keep a tight line on the sink, because fish will often "pop on the drop".

There are smaller sized bubbles than the standard used by most bubblers. There are also several different styles. Here's a pic from Cabelas for their adjustable bubble. It works well as a strike indicator float, as well as a casting weight. However, for fishing subsurface, I still prefer the standard bubble, with my line running freely through the hole...stopped by a small split ring or swivel. It makes it easier to detect strikes.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0019710111927a&navAction=jump&navCount=2&indexId=cat20289&podId=0019710&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20289&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F01%2F97%2F10%2Fp019710ii01.jpg"][Image: p019710ii01.jpg][/url]
[signature]
thanks alot tubedude, i love the split shot idea - i gotta get me some smaller bubbles . . .'tiny bubbles'

oh boy .

sm
[signature]
[mad] Al Right [size 6]Don Ho[/size]. I guess you want "[size 5]Champagne" "Bubbly" "[strike][size 6]Dead[/size][/strike] Cold Duck"[/size] with your bubbles too! [size 6]LOLWROTF[/size]

[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
maybe fill the spinning bubble up with champagne? hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm......................

sm
[signature]
[cool]Down here in Arizona, we do Margaritas. Sure is tough getting that salt rim to stick to the bubble though.

By the way, if you know someone who reloads shotgun shells, just get a few ounces of size 6 lead shot for weighting those bubbles. You can reuse it and it will last forever.

By the way #2, if you are interested, I have some writeups on fishing flies with spinning gear...besides using a bubble. These include using a 4 foot length of fly line, looped at each end...for both streams and lakes...floating and sinking. It's tricky to learn how to cast, but with that bubble-chucker rod it's a lot easier.

Some other ways to fish flies with spinning gear are to use them on dropper leaders...about 18" - 24" above a small Rapala, Kastmaster, spinner or jig. You can also tie a two foot length of leader on one of the treble hooks of a Jakes or other spoon, and tie a fly behind the "flasher". Sometimes the fish hit the fly...other times the main lure.

I am going to be redoing my self-drawn diagrams on the knots and rigs for some of these things. If you like, I'll scan a jpeg and post it.

TubeDude
[signature]
that'd be great! thanks as always!

sm
[signature]
[cool][cool][Smile]real beautiful there!!what a picture. he,s an ol, slepy head haha you guys have the weird weather we had here, back and forth from rain snow sun rain?? maybe they did go early. our just started i believe this last week. i generally catch em goin up my brook the first week. but didn,t this year.jack caught a beautiful rainbow yesterday bout 16. cooked it up fer his supper last nite. haha they are gargeous fish. ya had fun anyways haha but i do see ya like bustin each other haha. i bust jack, haha i caught the first fish of the season 2nd weekend in april,ours begin and i got a 18" rainbow. he got his nose bent. hahagot it on the nitecrwler. jack did his yesterday too.it was 80 yesterday, monday, and sunday, 78 and sat 65. boy did i git a good burn!!! haha well you NEED TO GIT TO THAT HONEY HOLE FER HE DOES NEXT TIME HAHA!! if ol sleepy head dont want to git out of bed you got it made haha boy if i had the chance to go fishin there i sure wouldn,t be sleepin.!! haha ya know,before i got on here i never thought of puttin a nitecrawler on the end of my lure. haha ain,t that funny?? 2 in1 haha. i guess that sucker was hungry. i was too so i ended up puttin a hamburg on and got watchin these puctures and burned the chees down haha cool!! so much fer my lunch. hahahave fun, i can see ya guys do. ido2!! haha later[Smile][Wink][cool][laugh]
[signature]
hey guys, i,ve never seen one of those. that,s cool but it sounds like the same effect as usin a slidin sinker.??? i use that when i,m fishin my lake in plymouth, with the salmon eggand put a slidin sinker on then a split shot underneath fer how long of a distance i want from the swivel. what ya think?? course ya can use even a minnow if ya wanted too. and they dont feel the weight of the sinker i don,t think as much. same effect??
[signature]
hey i,ll take one of those never mind the fish ahha anyways, we can,t use ouble anythin here. like what your talkin bout. wish we could. but then again why wouldn,t a split shot the slidin sinker and a fly work too?? hep? haha later[Smile]
[signature]