Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a 5.0
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: scaredworried.gif]Hey MacFly did you all feel that quake down there in Deigo? Rocked my house pretty good. A 5.0 is enough to get my attention.[pirate][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Been there, done that more time than I would like, wait till ya get closer to the high 7s and up lmao, wasn't at the time [Image: sleepy.gif]

I'll take every last flake of my snow thank you very much [laugh]

Hey, got two huge wolves poking around and I just saw two younger cougars on my drive down the mountain today, a black one and a brown, the wolves I think are cool but does anyone have a good Chinese recipe for cat ?? [Image: suspicious.gif]

BFS [fishin][fishin][fishin]
[signature]
just shoot the cats and take them down to a Chinese joint and they will probably give you a bunch of free food for it.[sly] we use to do it with perch we caught here. those guys loved those things but so do i
[signature]
I like the way you think lol, hmm let's see that would be around 60 or 70 pounds of cat [sly] , them tails have gotta bring something too
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I was living in Whittier in 97 when it was hit with a 6.1 quake. Had a few thousand dollars in damages. My brother who lived about a mile away had over a $100,000 in damages and personal loses. On my Mothers street practically every home had their brick chimney destroyed. The worse apart was the numerous after shocks. Never knew if that shaking was going to be another big one. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
It's that never know that gets me. Was in the Valley at ten years old for the San Fernando quake of Feb 9, 1971. The Earth became as an Angry sea.

It doesn't take a "Rocket" geologist to look at the big picture of the San Andreas fault as a plate boundary with the Pacific plate slowly moving northward as the North American plate remains relatively stationary and most all these cute little events that always have Cal Tech scratching their heads and calling it an unknown fault are merely stress fractures due to the fact that there is a huge dogleg in the plate boundary,.the SA fault running basically from the Riverside / San Bernadino area North to where it straightens out again running up through the San Juaquine valley.

This dogleg will eventually break and that's gonna be our big one, I say our becuase my guess is it will be doing significant damage in cities like Spokane with all it's old brick structures, God only knows whats gonna happen there, you being on the Pacific plate, we'll probably end up neighbors again lol, cheers [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: yell.gif]Oh yea - that was a biggie. If I recall correctly my dog jumped up on my bed seconds before that one hit shaking like a leaf in a wind storm. Needless to say that when it hit I was shaking quite a bit myself. Here is a shot of a business destroyed in the Whittier quake.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline whittier-87.jpg]
[signature]
happy to say I did not feel a thing... course I been in and out of bed with this head cold .. so could of shook me a bit and I would not of know..

MacFly
[signature]
Missed Whittier thank goodness.

The couple memories I have from San Fernando were how when I got outside finally, was at 5 in the morning or something and I remember the neighborhood dogs going nuts is what woke me up before it hit too, there were literally 1 to 2 foot long period rolling waves coming down the streets and yards from the northeast , was in Northridge at the time (not for the big N).

And it seemed to last forever, a calm world became a shaking world as the aftershocks just came and came and you never knew when or how strong and there were serious attention getters going for months and all the time, we were evacuated for fear the Van Norman dam above us would fail, there wasn't a yard barrier left that wasnt cheesy wood and dogs were everywhere and it emptied our in ground swimming pool

I was within a few miles of :

[inline earthquake40.jpg]

[inline 101116_111_18.jpg]

[inline fig04.png]

This was at CSU Northridge, 2 blocks away :

[inline LotCStructure2.jpg]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#005000][size 4]As I recall it seems like the VA Hospital took a big hit.[/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]
Yup, I believe it was that and Holy Cross Hospital, both were on San Fernando Mission Blvd right in the foothills, I think both are in the pics I found.

Anything that was built up on a filled lot sank with liquifaction and stuff that was built on cut lots fared better, same happened in the Northridge quake, I was in Auburn Wa when that one hit, seeing it on the news. Was 14 months before I made it down there and it was stiff just rubble piles everywhere, I guess from talking to some of my old friends, the quakes we're remarking on were pretty much cute in comparison. One buddy said he woke up on his living room couch to the television bouncing back down off the ceiling it had crashed through, [shocked]

Everyone else, big tough boys I grew up with on the ocean, didn't even want to talk about it, could only gather from the looks. Northridge and Granada hills over a year later were still in shambles with half of those apt structures perched over their parking condemned. Folks everywhere took their insurance money and RAN , were empty houses everywhere.

Well, I'll see you when you get here Dryrod [laugh], that Pacific plate is twisted bad around that dogleg, should make Anchorage look like a carnival ride lol. and its several tens of thousands of years overdue. Should make for some interesting fishing when the shaking all stops.[fishin]
[signature]