Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fillet Knives
After viewing Windriver's cool thread on filleting. I was wondering how much easier is it to use an electric fillet knife rather than a reg. fillet knife ? What brand and what should I look for (corded or rechargeable). Are they easy to use on bigger fish?
[signature]
Funny you posted this subject today, I was ready to reorder a model from Anglers Best that I dearly love, but went belley up on me last year and they dont make it any more. I had ordered a different model and it was supposed to have a battery life of 45 minutes with recharge capabilities but it would only last 15 minutes at best. Now I dont know what brand or model to get either. Have looked at several, but always get mixed reviews, but, I would definately go cordless if I can find a decent one. Any one have a reccomendation for it as X2fsh also asks?
[signature]
I see no reason for a rechargable . They are more expensive and all have less than an hour run time . You can get them in 12 volt DC and 110 AC . I have both , one for camping and one for home . The 6" blade is better for most fish . Thanks Curt G.
[signature]
Just something about them----- no way- I have a cloth tool case that rolls up. It was 7 fillet knives in it. Just too old school I guess but I like filleting , I like sharpening my knives to a razors edge - I just like the whole deal- no electric knives for me.
[signature]
I have used electric fillet knives they work great for the method that leaves the ribs in.

I prefer a really sharp fillet knife that is flexible enough to cut around the ribs. I have several different sizes for different size fish. My 6" gets the most use with perch.

Windriver
[signature]
I had stubbornly resisted going to an electric fillet knife, and staying with my Cutco knife. I finally gave in, after researching the various knives. The reviews of the Rapala electric were great, so I purchased it, and have been more than happy with it. I have used it on lots of crappie and perch, and it def. saves time. I see the Mister Twister also gets good reviews. I purchased it at Cabelas here in Boise. I was told not to go with the American Angler, that lots of them are returned. By the way, the Rapala also has a 12 V. plug, so you could use it with your car or boat. Mike
[signature]
Thanks for all the responses guys.
[signature]
I would like to learn the around the rib method.[Smile]
[signature]
It will be a couple of weeks but I will make a picture tutorial when I get a chance.

Windriver
[signature]
A finished fillet should be done very quickly and have nary a bone when done. Anything less isn't filleting- it maybe fish cleaning but it isn't filleting. You should go into a fish cleaning house on Lake Eire sometime .Some of those guys are simply amazing. If you blink you missed a perch or walleye being filleted. If you breathed your nostrils will smell like fish for days. I go back every year, I grew up there and still have a brother who guides on the lake. I tried to take my wife in but about 100 yards from the building she stopped and said if you go in , burn your clothes on the way out but I'm not getting any closer. .
[signature]
I know the smell I spent three summers with a knife in my hand working in an Alaskan Salmon cannary.

Windriver
[signature]
[quote windriver]I know the smell I spent three summers with a knife in my hand working in an Alaskan Salmon cannary.

Windriver[/quote] That explains why you are so good at it...we thought it was because you are always catching so many fish around here[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Salmon and Halibut are easier than 5" perch.[Wink]

Windriver
[signature]
Which model on the Rapala did u get, ive looked at them but not sure which one might be best, Im a cheap scape but learned the hard way, you get what you pay for also. Thanks
[signature]
I got the Rapala Pro Guide Deluxe electric. I just remembered that I bought it at the Walmart in Mountain Home. I had just caught way too many perch and crappie at C.J. Strike, and decided the time had come to invest in one. I lucked out and got it for about $16 cheaper than anyone else was selling them for. They regularly sell for 49.99, and come with extra blades, car or boat plug, and a really nic hard case. Also a cutting board, way too small! Hope this helps. You will lovethe knife, I promise. Mike
[signature]