Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferret
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Was thinking about getting a Ferret as a pet until I discovered that California is only one of two states where it is illegal to own one. [Image: bobmad.gif] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Does anyone have a pet Ferret?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center] [inline ferret.jpg]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I dont have one but I knew an instructor who had two or three of them.. and they lived here in CA.. I think she said something about needing to get a special (breeding) license so that she could keep them..

MacFly
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]You can not get a permit to keep a ferret in California unless you are an educational institution or similar. They are not granted to private citizens under any circumstances. [frown] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]In a LA Times article, Christie Keith writes that the most recent California legislative activity on ferrets occurred in 2006, when the ferret amnesty bill SB 89, designed only to grandfather in ferrets already living in California (and even then only if they were neutered and micro chipped), passed the California Assembly by 64-12 and the Senate 27-2.
But the bill was vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who some thought would sign it, given that he'd co-starred with a ferret in "Kindergarten Cop," Keith writes. The governor decided giving amnesty to California's ferrets required an environmental impact report. BTW Only illegal immigrants are given amnesty in California.[Image: bobmad.gif]
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
well that explains it.. this woman had ferrets well before that time and has since left Ca.. btw.. her last name was Weatherwax.. her hubby was on the packers when they were in the early (1 and 2.. maybe) superbowls.. he even gave me an authographed picture.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I grew up with someone who had probably 3 or 4 ferrets. They would run around the house. They are smart animals. Good pets too.
[signature]
Cats are good pets because you can leave them for a few days to go on a fishing trip and not have hassles.

But they are hard to train to walk on a leash.

Well, they are hard to train period.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Don't see many cats in my neighborhood. The coyotes seem to prefer them to rabbits.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Are you saying if you had a ferret you would let it roam around outside?

Sounds like you could help preserve the wildlife and experience the wonders of the personality differences of individual cats.[:p]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there Scruffy_Fly I'm certain that your were being factitious at least I was. None of my animals were ever given the liberty of roaming the streets. I like to consider myself as a responsible pet owner. No I don't take in stray coyotes or mountain lions. God forbid that I was late with their diner then I would be diner. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]