Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Yesterday
Yesterday, petty4life and I fished Strawberry Reservoir. First thing we did was hit the docks to net some shiners. Even after using many to fish with, we still were able to take eight dozen of them home (let's see 8 dozen at $2.50 each $20 saved). I'm still waiting for a second part for my main outboard so we got around with my 6 horse trolling motor. Everything was fine until the trolling motor decided, without warning, it didn't want to run any longer. A not-so-happy-about-helping-us fellow fisherman towed us to the dock (for which I was most grateful). Less than 10 minutes later, after putting in new spark plugs, we were good to go for the rest of the day. Note to myself -"Remember to ALWAYS clean the spark plugs in the trolling motor after every two days of heavy use". Spent most of our time trolling -- should have spent it fishing with the shiners in my honey hole. I ended up catching five, and I believe that petty4life ended up with three. Note to petty4life and myself, "Let those fish take the bait a little longer before setting the hook, when fishing with minnows -- which is really hard to do when the fish has followed the minnow close enough to the boat that you can see the fish, and it is a large fish." We probably hooked about 20% of the bites that we had with minnows. I took honors for the day when I caught a 5 1/8 pound, 25 inch, cutthroat. Really a thrill to catch such a fine fish on my ultra light fishing rod and reel. Petty4life is a pleasure to fish with and a fine fisherman. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, which should be later today, I will post a picture of the large cutthroat.
[signature]
[size 2]Hey Kent, nice fish!![/size]

[size 2]Other than getting a 4-stroke kicker, here's what you can do to minimize fouling your plugs. First, every few hours, open that baby up and run it wide open for several minutes. Running your kicker at trolling speeds all days isn't good for your plugs. And at the end of the day, run your kicker at WOT towards the dock while you put away your fishing gear (that's all I ever do to).[/size]

[size 2]Next, use 100% synthetic oil. It doesn't foul the plugs as easily and it will keep your engine cleaner. I would also run premium gas. It usually burns hotter and has more cleansing additives.[/size]

[size 2]Also, make sure to keep spare plugs in your boat and the tools to change them on the water.[/size]
Hey Dennis,

I do all of those things already, other than I purchase mid-grade gasoline. I'm shocked that you forgot to mention running Sea Foam through it though!
[signature]
we were up there on monday to net some shiners, but we did not see any, did you? good post
[signature]
HI FB2,

As mentioned in my post, we fished with shiners and took home 8 dozen of them, so yes I did see some. I went to the docks south of the Soldier Creek boat ramp. Most of the shiners were in deeper water, and down a couple feet, so they would scatter before the net would reach them. Fortunately, we were able to find some closer to shore in shallow water.
[signature]
[cool]HERE'S THE PIC OF KENT'S CUTT. At least it sure doesn't look like a minnow. (PS...posted as a courtesy to a good friend)

Nice fish, Mr. J.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2167967.jpg]
[signature]
Nice fish Kent !!
[signature]
mabye me and my dad will have to head up some time, i will just throw the net of the narina docks and mabye get some.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Nice fish, Kent! When are you going to start fishing the Gorge and hooking those monster fish you been collecting info on for the last 3 months? I want to see you with a 20# mack hanging off your line![/size][/font]
[signature]
I thought if I purchased a twelve-month pass (which I did) for Flaming Gorge that I would have the excuse that I need to get up there and go after those large macks at the Gorge. I will make it up there -- hopefully soon and you will see some pictures of me holding at least a 20 pound mack (just in case I need it -- where did I hide that manual for my new digital camera where it explains how to blow up small fish to big fish?). Seriously, if I don't catch several large macks this year, I won't have any excuses -- I will have to admit that I am a lousy fisherman. Several fellow anglers on this site have given me some extremely valuable tips and even sent me samples of their lures, for which I am most grateful and truly indebted! Also, it looks like we are getting close to firming up plans for going after the sturgeon in July! Forget 20 pound fishes, I want a picture of me by a 200 pound fish -- although I would be thrilled to share the picture with a 100 pounder.
[signature]