Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing TV shows
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I Tvo several FF shows a week to watch at my leisure. While the host tries to describe the ins & outs of a location and go over board about how pretty the fish is, in my view they miss out on the main ingredient of FF. That is they seldom mention the wt of the rods being used, leader & tippet size types of flies and their size. Who the heck cares about how well they slept the night before and what they had for breakfast. Think that I will mail subject shows a copy of this post once I clean it up a bit.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
You're certainly right about the info they don't include, Dryrod. I've never seen a flyfishing show in which the host actually explained what was going on.

As to who cares about the other stuff? Well, the lodge and guides that are comping the host in return for the coverage care. And the restaurants providing free meals care. Etc.

I am not badmouthing the practice. Not when I've been the beneficiary of it myself. But the TV guys do tend to go overboard.

Here's an example of the difference. When we went to Sweden as guests of the Swedish government, SAS flew us over and back. One short mention in an article I wrote more than satisfied them. Somebody doing a TV show, on the other hand, would mention SAS time after time after time. It does get old.

I can't prove this, but my gut feeling is that it's a difference in the relationship between print and broadcast media as regards advertisers.

In print, my concern is with the content. Sure, I want to acknowledge hosts, both because bills have to be paid and there's an obligation to the reader to let them know you didn't pay your own way. But Somebody else has to worry about the advertisers. Indeed, there is usually an arms-length relationship between them and the writers.

But with broadcast, the host is so involved with advertisers that it becomes second nature to tout any commercial concern involved with the production. This spills over into things like thanking the host. Net result: Many outdoor shows seem to be nothing but ads, separated by a minor amount of content. Sort of like a catalog versus a magazine.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
I agree with what both you and Brook said on this subject. but have one question..

if you watch some of the regular fishing shows.. fresh or saltwater.. you always get a rundown on what gear was used.. what boat.. what motor it had on it.. I mean down to a gnats behind on everything.. sooo

why cant the sponsors of these fly fishing shows demand the same thing... I love watching those shows but like you Id sure like to know what rod, what leader.. tippet.. what fly was used etc..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Sometimes TUs On The Rise will have a small window showing what flies they were using. I even pause the frame but still had problems viewing it. Oh well at least they tried.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I actually really enjoyed the series "Sport Fishing On The Fly" for the very reasons you are mentioning. They showed the how-to of what they were fishing. They went over the setup and conditions they were fishing and would always include a fly tying segment with the fly they found most productive for the place they were fishing. It was enjoyable because they caught beautiful fish, but I learned quite a bit about the how-to. I wish more shows did it this way.
[signature]