Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Fork Boise
Has anyone been to the South Fork Boise lately? Just wondering how the fishing has been.

I was there about 3 weeks ago and managed to CPR a few nice bows, just wondering what everyone else was catching.
[signature]
Welcome to the site! We need more posters from this side of the state. I haven't heard anything about the South Fork. The only reports I have been hearing are steelhead and Lucky Peak. Do you have a boat? Mike
[signature]
It is closed right now, so no fishing there
[signature]
Up until a couple years ago, it was always closed at this time of year. Idaho F&G implemented a change to the regs that created a special winter season that applies to the S. Fork of the Boise below Anderson Ranch dam that allows for catch and release fishing only until March 31.
[signature]
Mike, unfortunately I don't have a boat. I just moved out here in September of 08 and fly fishing is the first kind of fishing I have done so far. I would like to get into some walleye or crappie sometime though. I'm from the midwest and really miss fishing the Mississippi...[frown]

And yes, I hope the regs are right on the South Fork being open until the end of March because there have been quite a few people out fishing.
[signature]
Your post on the S. Fork got me to thinking about it so I headed down there for a few hours this weekend. The sun was only out for just a little bit, mostly there were a few light rain showers but it was still a fairly nice Spring day. I ended up catching and safely releasing a total of 4 Rainbows that were in the old version of the S. Fork of the Boise regulations slot size of between 12 and 20 inches. Here's a pic of the second to the largest. I wish I could have got a pic of a really amazing Cuttbow that was 2 or 3 inches longer than the one in this attachment but he was looking a little spent after the battle and I didn't want to risk further injury screwing around with trying to set up the timer for the camera. Either way, if you're thinking about heading down to below Anderson Ranch before it closes at the end of the month, my prediction is that you'll be really glad that you did.
[signature]
I did quite well there a few days ago using a big ugly rubber-legged stonefly nymph fished deep. A few nice fish were coming up for baetis, but I was tearing them up with the nymph and was too lazy to switch my rig. Nicest fish of the day was this guy. I'm guessing it's a Dolly Varden since it looked a lot more like a char than a trout-

[Image: dollyvardenMarch262009SouthForkB-1.jpg]
[signature]
Very nice Bull Trout!! That olive coloring on the head is a dead give away. I bet bringing that one in left your arm feeling a little weary by the time you got it to the bank.
My experience has been that most of the Rainbows or Hybrids can be quite acrobatic, and the Bull Trout just pull like a freight train.
[signature]
I was there on Monday. Caught some on baetis, but the wind was pretty gusty. I may head back up tomorrow.
[signature]