Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fillet Boards
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We've all seen the gimmicks in every outdoor catalog. The "New and Improved" way to hold that fish while trying to fillet him. You name it, they've got just the ticket for a price and when you get it home and try it you find out it just doesn't cut it,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've found an inexpensive (how's free) material that makes a great fillet board. I stumbled across it two years ago when a new home was being built next door to me. I'd just got back from fishing with a few fish to clean and I really didn't have a good fillet board. Well you know, a house under construction has all kind of possiblities so I wondered over and found a piece (14" x 30") of left over exterior sheathing. You know the kind. Press wood chip with exterior glue to be somewhat water resistant. So I took it home.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Well, two years later I'm still using that board and it has gotten better! With the water exposure to it, the wood grain has come up and talk about a non-slip fillet board. You don't need to worry about fish slime or blood making a slippery surface. It cleans up in the backyard with your high pressure nozzle on your hose and you can make it any size you want. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'll never buy a fillet board again. I'll just visit a new fab house construction and beg a piece of scrap of exterior particle board from the construction crew. If I don't lose the current one that may be in 15 yrs![/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]They say great minds run in the same direction...but I don't mind.

I have been using particle board material for fillet boards for a long time. My current model is state of the art...with a 36 inch ruler along the bottom, and a large hole that can be positioned either over a sink or a trash can in the great out of doors. No fancy fish clamps. Those are designed for fishermen...not fish.

I sealed the wood on mine, and added about three coats of Minwax urethane finish. It really doesn't get too slick with water and blood, and it is large enough to accomodate a good sized fish.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2235119.jpg]

My standard setup for a filleting job. I use the electric knife on most small to medium sized fish, and go up to the big blades and even the cleaver for super tough bones. Note the Kevlar glove. The only time I get cut is when I don't put it on, because I don't think I will get cut. Actually, most of my cuts are from the sharp gill covers on some fish...NOT mishandling my cutlery.

Also, note the steel, for touching up knives while you are using them. I have long believed that the most dangerous knife is a dull one...because you have to put more pressure on it to cut through fish, and you have less control.

TubeDude
[signature]
I like your set up, looks like I'll be building one for the next trip out. I haven't got the cuttlery down but I've got enough to be dangerous, just ask my fingers. [cool]
[signature]
I just happened to have a 2x3 ft piece of particle board in my garage that I used last night to fillet my wifes fish with, works really great!
[signature]
Hey all this is great and all, I have been using the wifes cutting board. The white plastic looking thing. It works ok but could be better. What I really want is for FB2 to learn how to do his own! So how about posting a how to Fillet post. No matter how I explain it, it seems to go right in one ear and out the other. I know none of you have ever had this problem with your dads LOL

Filleting is the only way to clean fish be they bass, trout, crappie, or whatever. So what ya say guys online fillets lessons for all?
[signature]
here is a pretty detailed website with instructions and pictures for him to see. Hope it helps

[url "http://www.fishingnotebook.com/fish/fillet.html"]http://www.fishingnotebook.com/fish/fillet.html[/url]
[signature]
YOU SHOULD MAKE SOME AND SELL THEM ON THE NET AND GIVE ME HALF OF WHAT YOU MAKE [Wink] TO PAY FOR MY FISHING HABIT
[signature]
Hey thanks Teroy I checked it out. its a little different thanhow I do it. So maybe it will work for him. I sent him the link in a a PM LOL
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Road and FB2, how are you guys doin'? Saw your thread on getting into some wipers. Waytago. And I gotta say, you two guys are about as handsome a father son team as there is. Fish looked good too.

The link posted by Teroy is about as good as you can find on the Internet. Filleting is like a lot of things in fishing. Everyone has their own style. But, by being exposed to several, you can try them all and choose what works best for you.

Since I got my new digital camera, I have been thinking about shooting and posting a step by step pictorial on some of the toughies...like BIG catfish. They can be more like butchering hogs than filleting fish. On the larger ones, I also cut out and save the "belly strip"...fine eating...but there is a way to do it easy and 100 ways to do it hard.

I'll be making another trip on my catfish hole in two weeks. If TubeBabe or myself can get a couple of big kitties, I will do the pictorial. It will include filleting, skinning, removal of the dark flesh along the sides and cutting the fillets into "fingers"...for my favorite fried catfish recipe: Catfish Calamari (Also known as Kitty Krispies).

I don't know how many regulars on the board have invested in and learned to use electric fillet knives, but let me tell you. They are the absolute best for getting good, clean, efficient fillets. They are especially recommended for small fish, like perch, bluegill, crappies and white bass. Properly wielded, they get more meat with less effort. I may do a few shots of using the electric too. It takes a bit of practice, but when you get the feel of it, it is hard to pick up the regular fillet knives again.

TubeDude
[signature]
[Smile]sure looks like a good idea i'll have to try that sometime. thanks trfishin
[signature]
Thanks Tube I might make an investment in the electric knife. It just seemed kind of silly to me since I have been doing this for years now. But I watched a friend use his, man did he whip them out!

As far as handsome goes yes FB2 is a handsome lad ..... his dad on the other hand ha seen much better days LOL. But thanks for the kind words, its always nice to hear them no matter how old you are getting LOL.
[signature]