Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So whats the species
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: dumb.gif]This trout was caught in the San Gabriel River in the mountains above Azusa, Ca. It looks like a red band species but supposedly there aren't any in SoCal. Any idea as to what it may be?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][inline SGR.JPG][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
is it a sub species of golden?? I Know we had a similar looking fish on here before.. my first reaction was golden.. or dolly varden.. ??

MacFly
[signature]
golden was my first guesse. A dolly fry has spots like a brown/brookie at that size if i remember right.
[signature]
[#008000]Haven't heard of any goldens being this far south. Here is a chart to ponder over. BTW I don't have an answer.[/#008000]
[center][inline CHT.jpg]
[signature]
i got bored and searched a bit and the only trout that i could see is rainbows, i would have guessed it would have a bit more colour but probly a rainbow.
[signature]
maybe a redband trout. Not sure of the location of that stream but they are found in some streams in Cal. Only in the north.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I'm convinced that it is a Redband. Not sure what kind as there are dozens of varieties located in California. This doesn't look like a rainbow for here is a discription of the bow: Rainbow trout are silvery-gray to dark-green on the back and sides. They have a pinkish or reddish lateral stripe, sometimes with lavendar or orange overtones, from the gill cover running the length of the fish to the tail. The caudal fin has rows of small dark spots, and there are more small blackish spots sprinkled on the head and sides, and spotting on the dorsal and adipose fins. The belly is whitish. The lower fins are pale-pink without spots. The bottom fish is a McCloud Redband. Certainly looks more like the mystery fish than it does a bow.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline 2.jpg]
[signature]
thats what i was thinking also but sense its only 3 inches long who knows. I have seen steelhead fry that look very similar to that pic also.
[signature]
[left][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]At about 6" for the top and 8" for the bottom fish they would be considered as juveniles. At that stage in their life would believe that they are developing truer coloring & markings. What do you think?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
i would guesse a redband. But another way they tell to distinguish a redband is. The tips of there fins have a bit of white. The bottom fish you can tell but cant see any on the top.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]The botom fish is actually a McCloud Redand.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
ya thats what i was comparing you can see the white tips on the bottom fish but not on the top fish. Wasnt very clear.
[signature]
[#008000][Image: happy.gif]Oh you were quite clear - just wanted to mention the species.[/#008000]
[signature]
I know this post is kinda old but .............what WT rod
would be the best for fish of that size or maybe even
a little bigger?

Peter
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]A 7' 2 wt. is lots of fun. As little as they maybe they will give a jump or two to shake the hook. A 3 wt would work fine too.[/size][/#008000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] Oh yea instead of buying another reel and line I been using a 3 wt DT line. The DT is nice for roll casting on a tight creek/brook.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
Cool , 3WT it is. I may get one if Cabelas puts
something nice on sale.
Thank you

Peter
[signature]